Three people were killed and four injured yesterday when a light aircraft skidded off the runway at a small airport near Mount Everest and struck a helicopter.
Aviation official Raj Kumar Chhetri was cited by The Associated Press as saying that a plane belonging to Summit Air was trying to take off from Lukla for Ramechhap, Nepal, on the morning of Sunday, April 14, when it crashed.
According to sources at Grande Hospital, sub-inspector of Nepal Police Rudra Bahadur Shrestha who was seriously injured, breathed his last while undergoing treatment.
Captain RB Rokaya who was flying the Summit Air passenger aircraft and Captain Chet Gurung of the stationary Manang Air Helicopter are now receiving treatment at Grande Hospital and are said to be out of danger and will survive the incident. The dead included a pilot of the plane and two police officers who were near the parked helicopter.
In 2008, another Twin Otter plane carrying 16 passengers and three crew crashed shortly before it was due to land at Lukla.
How to Get God of War's Free PS4 Anniversary Theme and Avatar
This will be followed by a special God of War Avatar set releasing for free on Wednesday, April 17. PS4 gamers can take advantage of another new PlayStation freebie from Sony.
The four passengers and a flight attendant were safe.
Pandey said the accident occurred at around 9:10 a.m. local time at Tenzing-Hillary Airport in Lukla, a major gateway to Mount Everest.
ASN also reported that both the privately owned aircraft of Summit Air and the helicopter of Manang Air were destroyed while the second private helicopter of Shree Air sustained minimal damage.
The airport, built in 1964, is rated as one of the most unsafe airports in the world due to strong tailwinds and a short runway. It is open only to helicopters and small fixed-wing aircraft.
- Game of Phones: 76ers get blown call on bench in blowout
- Eight cars fail inspection before Toyota Owners 400 at Richmond Raceway
- Actress Lori Loughlin Pleads Not Guilty In US College Admissions Scandal
- Manchester United squad given boost ahead of Barcelona clash
- Aircraft with the largest wingspan in the world completes first flight
- Global measles cases up by 300 percent in 2019
- Klobuchar Releases Taxes, Urges Trump To Do Same
- At least 20 killed in market blast in Pakistani city of Quetta
- President Trump says he will present Tiger Woods with Medal of Freedom
- Hot streak? Chris Davis belts his first home run of 2019