This is the second time in McGregor's career that he has taken to social media for a retirement announcement.
"Hey guys quick announcement, I've chose to retire from the sport formally known as "Mixed Martial Art" today", McGregor wrote on Twitter at 1:18 a.m.
"I wish all my old colleagues well going forward in competition", McGregor said on Twitter. I now join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement.
'Proper Pina Coladas on me fellas!' On that occasion, in April 2016, Pundit Arena were first to speak with the Dubliner following his announcement. He did so when he knocked out Eddie Alvarez easily at UFC 205 in Madison Square Garden.
McGregor's retirement this time occurs at an even more volatile time for the Irishman, as he is still suspended for his role in the chaos following his loss to UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov.
Edwards scores 42 as Purdue ends Villanova's reign
Purdue came out in the second half looking for a knockout punch and it landed one in the first five minutes of the period. Haarms was a load inside the entire first half and dunked the ball four times, all on nifty passes from the perimeter.
It could also be that McGregor, who has openly asked for UFC shares before, could be using retirement as a tactic to try and bring Dana White and co.to the negotiating table - in which case, this is more likely a part of the dance before his next fight is announced rather than a goodbye to the sport.
Video footage appeared to show McGregor throwing a railing at a bus carrying Khabib and a number of other UFC fighters.
McGregor also alluded to "a lot of politics going on", but reiterated that he is "in shape" and "ready". In April 2016, he announced on Twitter, "I have chose to retire young".
He was arrested in Miami earlier this month after allegedly smashing a phone outside a Florida nightclub.
Whether or not this really is the end for McGregor, remains to be see. "So we'll see what happens". "I've done a lot, I've fought a lot, I never pull out of contests, I've gone through some insane injuries and insane external situations that many a man would sprint for the hills if it happened to them". I stood firm and done my piece for the company. "I'm just staying ready as I like to say". If the UFC wants me to slide into that co-main event and help, what that is, me sliding into the co-main event, it's boosting their brand over fighter rhetoric that they have. I am set for life.
- Tech 9 Cause Of Death: How Did Battle Rapper Die?
- Neymar in contract talks with PSG amid Real Madrid rumours - father
- Daedalic Entertainment announces action-adventure title 'The Lord of the Rings: Gollum'
- Ahead of LS polls, Congress promises minimum income for India’s poorest
- Can Bettors Trust NCAA Tournament Cinderellas like OR in the Sweet 16?
- McConnell blocks move to make Mueller Report public
- Apple Arcade: Gaming Subscription Service Full Details Announced Today
- Priyanka Chopra planning Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas’ grand wedding?
- Tigers Top Terps In Final Seconds, Advance To Sweet 16
- LeBon praises Lonzo; Ball family reportedly considers folding Big Baller Brand