A powerful tropical cyclone is forecast to make landfall by Saturday, March 16, said the South African Weather Service (SAWS), News24 reported earlier on Monday.
Based on data of the expected tropical cyclone path IDAI, wind speeds zones from Joint Research Centre (Issued on 12 March 2019 00:00 UTC), and population data from WorldPop 2015, UNITAR-UNOSAT conducted a population exposure analysis for Mozambique. "The main effects of tropical cyclone include heavy rains, strong winds, large storm surges at landfall and tornadoes". Current satellite imagery indicates Idai to be located at the central parts of the Mozambique channel (located at 18.4 degrees south and 41.8 degrees east at 08:00 SAST) with a central pressure of 973 hPa and a maximum average wind speed of 70 knots (140km/h).
"We even have a NATJOC - they come together and distribute information to all relevant countries".
Presently Idai (currently WATCH GREEN- category, see table below) is moving south-westwards at a speed of 5 km/h; if this present speed and trajectory is maintained, it is expected to start moistening the country's atmosphere beginning with the Eastern Highlands on Thursday evening, 14 March.
Tropical Cyclone Idai’s expected landfall trajectory
News24 reported that Tropical Storm Dineo, with winds in excess of 166km/h, hit Mozambique in February past year.
"This is typical weather for this time of year", said Phakula. In 2000, Cyclone Eline hit an already flood-affected central Mozambique, leaving about 463 000 people homeless.
Although some uncertainty exists for both the timing and location of the system, guidance from La Reunion indicates that it will make landfall near the Beira area.
Duke vs. Florida State - 3/16/19 College Basketball Pick, Odds, and Prediction
DID YOU KNOW: The Duke offense has scored 84.1 points per game this season, ranking the Blue Devils sixth among Division I teams. Before Barrett missed two free throws with 12 seconds left up by one, Williams called a timeout to assess UNC's options.
- Eating eggs can lead to higher risk of cardiovascular disease
- At least 24 dead, over 100 missing in Zimbabwe after cyclone
- Mike Ashley turns up heat in dispute with Debenhams
- Huawei P30 Pro camera samples with Super Zoom tested in leaked photos
- European Union leaders urge clarity from Britain before Brexit delay
- Miss. St. meets A&M in SEC tourney
- Ireland take bonus point Six Nations win over France
- 5 tips on how to keep you kidneys healthy
- Physicists REVERSE time using Quantum Computer — Time Travel BREAKTHROUGH
- Bloody Sunday British paratrooper charged with two murders over massacre