Sri Lankan cricket team head coach Chandika Hathurusingha was on Thursday told to return home from South Africa in the middle of the One-Day International series, with fielding coach Steve Rixon given complete charge for the subsequent T20 series.
"Hashim has asked to be excused from the last two ODIs of the current series on compassionate grounds since his father is critically ill", Proteas team manager Mohammed Moosajee confirmed in a statement on Tuesday.
South Africa made light work in the fourth ODI as they eased to another victory over Sri Lanka.
The Proteas won by six wickets with 103 balls left to spare at St George's Park in Port Elizabeth on Wednesday.
Indian Wells: Federer, Nadal in quarters
Edmund suffered a 6-1 6-4 defeat to Federer in their last-16 match at the Masters 1000 event in the Californian desert. Federer , who was playing the British number one for the first time, won 6-1 6-4 in one hour and four minutes.
Sri Lanka now just have pride to play for in the remaining ODI matches as the series slipped away from them in another heavy defeat against South Africa in the third match with the tourists outplayed in all aspects.
Sri Lanka were bowled out for 189 in 39.2 overs, their innings rescued to some extent by an extraordinary 58-run final wicket stand between Isuru Udana (78 from 57 balls) and Kasun Rajitha (0).
For the Faf du Plessis-led side, Nortje was their most successful bowlers, scalping three wickets while Phehlukwayo returned with two wickets.
Quinton de Kock (51) cracked a fourth score of fifty plus in as many innings in the series as South Africa comfortably reeled in their 190-run target in 32.5 overs.
- US Prepares to Bar Entry of International Criminal Court Investigators
- Mueller says former Trump campaign official still helping 'several ongoing investigations'
- European clubs say will boycott FIFA's Club World Cup
- ‘The Sopranos’ prequel ‘Newark’ sets a 2020 release date
- Global Artificial Intelligence (AI) In Agriculture Market In-Depth Insights Till 2027
- DeMarcus Cousins leads Golden State Warriors over Houston Rockets with dominant performance
- Smart returns to LSU lineup for SEC tourney loss
- Malaysia shuts 111 schools, but poisoning outbreak 'under control'
- Huawei P30 Pro camera samples with Super Zoom tested in leaked photos
- Doan's family urges her not to lose hope