The reputed head of New York's Gambino crime family, Frank Cali, has been killed outside his home, the city's police have told United States media.
According to local media in New York, Cali took the helm of the family in 2015, replacing Domenico Cefalu.
No arrests have been made.
Chief of Detectives Dermot Shea said police are reviewing surveillance footage that captured the events surrounding Frank Cali's death yesterday in Staten Island. This week, prosecutors in Brooklyn announced a case against a longtime Gambino associate accused of killing a suspected loan shark affiliated with the Lucchese crime family.
A law enforcement official confirmed to CNN that the victim was a high-ranking member of the Gambino organized crime family and is believed to be the acting boss.
New York City Police officers (NYPD) investigate the scene where, reported New York Mafia Gambino family crime boss, Francesco "Franky Boy" Cali, was killed outside his home in the Staten Island borough of New York City, U.S., March 14, 2019.
Castellano, the Gambino family head at that time, was shot in the street on Manhattan's East Side while on trial for conspiracy to commit murder, among other charges.
Cops retrieve evidence from the scene where Mob boss Francesco Cali was clipped late Wednesday. THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Cali's only mob-related criminal conviction came a decade ago, when he pleaded guilty in an extortion scheme involving a failed attempt to build a Nascar track on Staten Island.
Otherwise known as "Franky Boy", Cali was considered the de facto godfather of the Gambino crime family, having served on its ruling panel for several years.
Aggressive federal prosecutions in the past 25 years have decimated the ranks of New York's five Mafia families.
It was a marked change from the Gotti era, which brought with its unnecessary attention and exposure.
Cali's demeanor, while he was alive, was completely unlike the manner John Gotti conducted himself, the latter an extravagant and ostentatious mobster the Mob hadn't seen since the days of Al Capone.
The investigation exposed a drug trafficking partnership between the Gambinos and the Sicilian Mafia.
Cali then reaches into his trousers pocket to insinuate that he had a gun, the law enforcement source told the Daily Beast.
Beto O'Rourke Campaigns on Bringing Tinder to Rural Populations
Klobuchar, asked about O'Rourke on Thursday, let out a hearty, "Welcome!" "I've never seen so much hand movement. The Democratic field is so diverse, the ticket will likely have a man and a woman.
- Google working on a foldable smartphone? Here’s what patent shows
- Golden Tate signs with New York Giants
- Miss. St. meets A&M in SEC tourney
- Physicists REVERSE time using Quantum Computer — Time Travel BREAKTHROUGH
- Duke vs. Florida State - 3/16/19 College Basketball Pick, Odds, and Prediction
- Eating eggs can lead to higher risk of cardiovascular disease
- Stolen Bruegel masterpiece was switched with fake in police sting
- Sri Lanka recall coach ahead of Proteas T20 series
- Game of Thrones season 8: Official runtime of each episode revealed
- Indian Wells: Canadian Teenager Bianca Andreescu crushes Garbine Muguruza to reach semis