The 20-year-old pledged his global future to the Three Lions last month, having played for the Republic of Ireland at youth level and in three senior friendly matches last year. We have to help him through what was hopefully a blip, and he has to train and play well.
"Fundamentally, in this actual instance, he's a boy that was born in London and educated at an English academy. There were others who have commented despite the fact that they didn't play for the country of their birth, so they have benefited from some of the rules that are there".
The London-born player's decision sparked debate - and in some arenas backlash - but Southgate defended Rice after making a "complex decision" in a changing world.
On Rice call-up: "We've tracked him for quite a while".
"As I said last month, I had an extremely difficult decision to make regarding my worldwide future, but I have made that decision and now I just want to focus on the future, continuing to work hard and play as well as I possibly can".
Preston-born former Ireland worldwide Kevin Kilbane has been outspoken about Rice's switch and said it "makes a mockery" of global football. "But I don't think that's right".
Jack Grealish declared for England in 2015
He is clearly upset that Ireland has lost a very talented footballer but unlike some supporters, he appreciates that it's the system that is to blame and not the player. We have a few in our squad, but in the end, mentality often dictates how far players can go.
But Pickford's performances in an England shirt are enough to keep the manager happy with his contribution for now as he called on the former Sunderland man to keep pushing on.
On Pickford: "You can look across the squad and say they have had moments where they played well and moments not so well".
"What I like in our squad, is there are a lot of players who want to be among the best in the world".
"I'm never keen to say that this player is the no. 1, and that's it, because you've always got to have competition for places", he said.
"Jordan has played extremely well for us", Southgate added.
Malaysia shuts 111 schools, but poisoning outbreak 'under control'
The latest incident occurred on Tuesday, when 260 people were rushed to hospital with breathing difficulties. On 11 March, a second wave of methane poisoning took place a few hours after the two schools reopened.
- Happy Not To Draw Arsenal - Chelsea Director
- Vancouver Muslims react to New Zealand terrorist attack
- USA to test missiles banned under faltering nuclear pact with Russian Federation
- UAE slams European Union for inclusion in tax haven blacklist
- Golden Tate signs with New York Giants
- Global Artificial Intelligence (AI) In Agriculture Market In-Depth Insights Till 2027
- Alia Bhatt celebrates birthday with media
- Jack Nowell returns to England line-up for Scotland clash
- Sri Lanka recall coach ahead of Proteas T20 series
- Bloody Sunday British paratrooper charged with two murders over massacre