"Greta Thunberg has launched a mass movement which I see as a major contribution to peace", he added.
Greta Thunberg, a 16-year-old Swedish activist who is a prominent voice in the fight against climate change, has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize this year.
RTÉ's Education Correspondent Emma O'Kelly met some Dublin students who are intent on protesting on Friday.
Since then she has gone global, striking a chord with younger people disillusioned by the perceived slow progress of the adult world in halting climate change.
"We need to take more action on climate change now and a lot of that action is not going to come from trying to use the train rather than driving your vehicle".
In a historical speech she delivered at COP24 climate talks in Poland a year ago, she had reprimanded global leaders for their inaction on climate change.
Now, a global grassroots movement is expected to bring tens of thousands of school students onto the streets tomorrow in countries across the world.
Calgary Police Seek Information About Suspects in $145k Bitcoin ATM Scam
The suspects had "in-depth knowledge or interest in cryptocurrency, Bitcoin and/or blockchain technology" , Calgary police said. This man is suspected of making fraudulent transactions in Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa and Hamilton.
Today's students are likely to be most affected by the consequences of climate change - impacts that scientists say will be proportionate to the level of action take by leaders today to mitigate against climate change.
"There is nothing happening about this in Derry", she said.
The March 15 protest isn't the first of its kind.
After her speeches at the United Nations climate change conference in Poland and at the Davos forum, she became an example for many young people all over the world, who since have promoted similar initiatives.
Maltese students will be marching from the University of Malta to Valletta, Malta's capital city, to emphasise how they do not want to inherit a land, and indeed world, that has been destroyed and poisoned through humanity's gluttonous greed. "They are arguing about things like Brexit but we need them to act now on climate change. because in 12 years we can't turn anything back".
National politicians and some university professors can nominate candidates for the Nobel Peace Prize.
They will skip school and demonstrate in an attempt to get their governments to do more to tackle climate change. I hope so. Everyone talks about the climate now.
- Subdued hiring climate for Red Deer in second quarter of 2019
- MLB, MLBPA introduce sweeping rule changes for 2019 and 2020 baseball seasons
- Justin Bieber opens up about 'struggling a lot,' feeling disconnected
- Controversial Documentary on British Child’s Disappearance to Debut on Netflix on Friday
- Powerball numbers: Did you win Wednesday's $448 million lottery jackpot?
- Judge refuses to lower R. Kelly's child support payments
- USA stocks end mixed; Dow slips | newkerala.com #112641
- Jurgen Klopp: Liverpool are back where we belong
- Most Trump Medicare cuts would affect health providers - not seniors, analysis shows
- Chelsea boss Sarri: Dynamo Kiev pitch a disaster