Per The Hollywood Reporter, Cretton is best known for directing the movie Short Term 12, an independent film about a supervisor of a group home for troubled teenagers. Because of that, Marvel's already building a creative team comprised of Asian-American filmmakers and plans to build a cast of Asian and Asian-American stars, in the hopes of crafting a film that's as much a cultural touchstone within the superhero subgenre as it is a commercial success. However, with a Chinese-American director (and writer in Dave Callaham of Wonder Woman 1984), we should hopefully get a movie that Chinese-American audiences will respond to.
Cretton's now helming Just Mercy (which he also wrote) with Michael B. Jordan and Brie Larson, and picked up a lot of positive attention with the excellent Short Term 12.
In the comics, Shang-Chi is a skilled martial artist who was raised and trained by his father Fu Manchu, a Chinese crimelord and immortal sorcerer who repeatedly attempted to conquer the world, in an isolated compound located in China.
Chelsea boss Sarri: Dynamo Kiev pitch a disaster
Striker Gonzalo Higuain has not travelled due to illness while teenage winger Callum Hudson-Odoi is likely to start, Sarri added. The pitch is not good. "The pitch is not good and I think that it's really risky to play any football here".
Marvel Studios is setting Destin Daniel Cretton to direct Shang-Chi, its first superhero movie tentpole franchise with an Asian protagonist. He's now directing Just Mercy, which he also wrote, with Larson and Michael B. Jordan starring.
Shang-Chi is the creation of Steve Englehart and Jim Starlin, who made his debut in 1973. But according to Deadline, the script by David Callaham will modernize Shang-Chi to avoid such portrayals. More recently, Shang-Chi has appeared as a member of Heroes for Hire and various iterations of The Avengers. Could Brie Larson's Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel show up in the new movie, providing yet another reunion for her and the director?
Shang-Chi appears to be another key player in the next phase of Marvel flicks following the events of Avengers: Endgame.
- Watch Phoenix Cup Race Online, On TV
- Rockets fired from Gaza at Tel Aviv, explosions heard: Israeli military, witnesses
- Subdued hiring climate for Red Deer in second quarter of 2019
- Whoopi Goldberg returns to 'The View' after near-death illness
- Students to join worldwide climate change protests
- USA stocks end mixed; Dow slips | newkerala.com #112641
- Jurgen Klopp: Liverpool are back where we belong
- Pi world record calculation broken by Google employee Emma Haruka Iwao
- 'What If' Marvel Studios Animated Series In Development For Disney Plus
- Lori Loughlin 'Never Pushed' Her Daughters Bella Giannulli and Olivia Jade