As expected, the visitors mounted more of an attacking effort in the second half, as they sought out a game-changing goal, but their decision making in the final third was sloppy and the Gabonese forward snuck a tap-in in the 71st minute to all but seal their progression to the last eight.
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang scored twice to help Arsenal beat Rennes 3-0 and book their place in the quarter finals of the Europa League with a 4-3 aggregate victory.
Unai Emery's side gave themselves quite a mountain to climb after losing the first-leg 3-1 in France, but they delivered on their own patch.
Aubameyang opened the scoring five minutes in when poking home an Aaron Ramsey cross, coming after some good link-up play between the Welshman and Maitland-Niles down the right.
The smoke had barely died down from the red flares the Rennes fans let off in the away end before the home side had pulled the aggregate score back to 2-3 with practically the whole game to play.
Teddy Bridgewater reportedly staying with Saints
He looked great with the Jets in preseason a year ago and the Saints were willing to give up a third-round pick for Bridgewater. Bridgewater, 26, was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in the first round of the 2014 National Football League draft.
Aubameyang had plenty of reason to celebrate.
Arsenal are through to the next round of the Europa League after mounting a mighty comeback against Rennes.
The striker was famous for his masked celebrations at Borussia Dortmund, wearing Spider-Man and Batman masks after scoring, but Thursday was the first time he performed one in an Arsenal shirt.
- The Gunners have kept four consecutive clean sheets at home in European competition for the first time since April 2009 (six in total in that run).
- Controversial Documentary on British Child’s Disappearance to Debut on Netflix on Friday
- Facebook says outages due to 'server configuration change'
- New 'Avengers: Endgame' trailer features Captain Marvel
- Hallmark axes Lori Loughlin following college bribery arrest
- Tebow reassigned to Mets minor league camp
- New Avengers: Endgame trailer released with Captain Marvel joining the team
- Aamir Khan CONFIRMS Leading The Forrest Gump Remake!
- Jurgen Klopp: Liverpool are back where we belong
- Rockets fired from Gaza at Tel Aviv, explosions heard: Israeli military, witnesses
- Destin Daniel Cretton Marvel’s Choice To Direct ‘Shang-Chi’