This experiment consumed 170 terabytes of data and took nearly four months to complete.
Iwao, a computer scientist and software engineer whose official title is cloud developer advocate, used y-cruncher, a program created by US software developer Alexander J. Yee that has been used in many previous pi record breakings. This is nearly 9 trillion digits more than the previous world record, which was set in November 2016 by Peter Trueb.
She ran her calculations over Google's cloud service, marking another world-first.
An advocate who helps developers use cloud products, Iwao used more than two dozen virtual machines to churn away at the calculation, which took about 121 days to complete. It's an irrational number that continues infinitely without repetition.
Pi, which is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter, is commonly recognized for its first few digits, but the numbers go on until infinity. The semi-official holiday for the unique number is celebrated by eating actual pies. Iwao said in the announcement that's she's been fascinated with pi since she was 12- and never imagined breaking the Guinness World Record.
Bloody Sunday: Derry awaits decision on 1972 killings
Linda Nash, the brother of William Nash, a 19-year-old killed on the day, was tearful when she emerged from the hotel. However, that does not mean that we do not have compassion for all those who are affected by our decisions".
"The biggest challenge with pi is that it requires a lot of storage and memory to calculate", Haruka Iwao said.
This calculation was made thanks to the Pi-benchmark program developed by Alexander J. Yee, called y-cruncher. "At the time, the world record holders were Yasumasa Kanada and Daisuke Takahashi, who are Japanese, so it was really relatable for me growing up in Japan". "But now that it's been calculated with the cloud, the sky's the limit", a Google spokesperson said.
Beyond being a convenient way to promote Google's own cloud products, Iwao's record shows how far cloud computing technology has come.
She calculated it to 31,415,926,535,897 digits, which also happens to be the value of pi - 3.1415926535897.
"In terms of how long this record might stand, we can't predict the future".
- New 'Avengers: Endgame' trailer features Captain Marvel
- United Kingdom to publish no-deal Brexit plans for Irish border
- USA stocks end mixed; Dow slips | newkerala.com #112641
- Subdued hiring climate for Red Deer in second quarter of 2019
- Conor McGregor faces charges in U.S. over 'altercation'
- Most Trump Medicare cuts would affect health providers - not seniors, analysis shows
- MLB, MLBPA introduce sweeping rule changes for 2019 and 2020 baseball seasons
- Pizza Pizza Offering Super Cheap Deals At Restaurants Across Canada Tomorrow
- 'Empire' actor Smollett pleads not guilty to lying about Chicago attack
- Justin Bieber opens up about 'struggling a lot,' feeling disconnected