The building was a mixture of residential apartments and classrooms, according to local media.
"It is believed that many people including children are now trapped in the building", Ibrahim Farinloye, spokesman for the National Emergency Management Agency, said as cited by Reuters.
Rescue efforts are underway in Nigeria after a three-storey building school building collapsed while classes were in session.
A resident of the area, Prince Adams, who spoke with Punch Nigeria on the telephone, said no fewer than 10 pupils had been removed from the rubble so far.
California governor to sign executive order stopping state's death penalty for now
In recent years, other states have abolished the death penalty and several other governors have placed moratoriums on executions. California has not executed anyone in more than a decade because of legal challenges to the state's execution protocol.
The building collapse was also confirmed by Kehinde Adebayo, the spokesperson for the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency.
It was not immediately clear what had caused the collapse.
Emergency and rescue workers are now at the scene of the incident.
The building, situated at Massey Street at the Adeniji Adele area of Lagos Island caved in at about 9:45 am on Wednesday. In 2016, more than 100 people were killed when a church came down in southeastern Nigeria.
- What's next for Brexit after PM May's latest defeat?
- Hollywood actresses among dozens indicted in $25m U.S. college scam
- Priyanka Chopra gets a Maybach from ‘best husband ever’ Nick Jonas
- 49ers, Chiefs agree to terms on Dee Ford deal
- PM Theresa May faces challenge despite securing key Brexit changes
- Italy changes laws over unvaccinated children attending school
- Apple Announces Services Event for March 25
- Welsh Tory MPs fear general election after Brexit deal loss
- A 'Bohemian Rhapsody' Sequel Is Apparently Very Much On The Cards
- Woman killed by rock dropped from Texas overpass