The HMS Queen Elizabeth, which carries squadrons of U.K. and U.S. F-35 jets, will sail to the Gulf, Mediterranean and Pacific on its maiden voyage, U.K. Defense Secretary Gavin Williamson said in a speech Monday.
"I want to see our armed forces embracing transformation at an ever-faster rate, keeping pace with technological change, enhancing our mass and increasing our lethality, " Williamson said.
Speaking at the Royal United Services Institute, Mr Williamson said Britain must stand up to those who "flout worldwide law".
He said the £3 billion aircraft carrier's first mission is part of "making Global Britain a reality".
Williamson also said the country's cyber forces will be reinforced to defend and launch attacks.
'The Division 2' Is Getting an Open Beta
Plus, if you didn't get a chance this past weekend, it means everyone can sample the game before it launches in March. This trial period will be available across all of the game's platforms: PS4, Xbox One, and PC.
The defence secretary won an extra £1.8bn for defence in the last budget.
With the boundaries between peace and war becoming "blurred", particularly by Russian Federation and China, Williamson said Britain and its allies had to be ready "to use hard power to support our interests".
The UK needs to strengthen its "lethality" and must be ready to "use hard power" to uphold it interests against nations like Russian Federation and China, Secretary of State for Defense Gavin Williamson said on Monday.
"To talk but fail to act risks our nation being seen as little more than a paper tiger", he will add.
Andrew Smith of Campaign Against Arms Trade said: "With the United Kingdom at a crossroads, the Government should redefine its role, but that should mean an end to interventionism and the focus on projecting military strength around the world - not more of the same failed policies that have done so much damage".
- Elon Musk Says 'Dog Mode' Is Coming to Tesla Cars This Week
- Borussia Dortmund's flight to London delayed because Jadon Sancho forgot passport
- Cardi B deactivates Instagram after Grammys win
- Chrome Gets A Handful of Official Themes
- Chris Grayling incompetence over scrapped ferries contract is ‘off the scale’
- Jeremy Lin to Sign With Raptors After Buyout With Hawks Complete
- Lloris warns Spurs they must up their game against Dortmund
- Nintendo Direct Set For February 13, 2019
- Game Of Thrones Cat Ser Pounce Has Been Brutally Killed Off
- I can't do anything about struggling Sanchez, admits Solskjaer