Speaking to reporters Wednesday at a meeting of NATO defense ministers, Sekerinska said North Macedonia has "shown that change is possible if you have the right amount of political leadership".
"May today be the beginning of a long friendship between Greece and North Macedonia", he said in a tweet.
However, Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras and his Macedonian counterpart, Zoran Zaev, were able to push through their accord a year ago as part of efforts to normalize relations.
People are at work to change boards at the border between Macedonia and Greece near Gevgelija on February 13, 2019.
Government members, former prime ministers, ambassadors and religious leaders gathered outside the government building in Skopje on Tuesday for the symbolic raising of the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation flag, as Macedonia makes its final steps towards membership.
The name change resolves a dispute with neighboring Greece that has gone back decades.
NY murder: Venezuela man arrested after woman found in suitcase
The chief medical examiner's office has completed an autopsy but has not yet released the cause and manner of Reyes' death. Her body was found stuffed in a suitcase and bound hand and foot. "She just mentioned, 'I'm really, really scared".
Since 1991, Athens had objected to its neighbor being called Macedonia because Greece has a historic northern province of the same name.
Despite opposition on either side of the border, the deal was ratified by both parliaments.
Within four months, the Interior Ministry will start issuing new auto license plates with the abbreviation NMK, while new passports will be issued at the end of this year, Zernovski said.
Prime Minister Zoran Zaev said in a speech that this marks the end of insecurity for the country, and opens the path to a prosperous future through membership of the "most powerful alliance in the world".
The small Balkan country changed its name on Tuesday.
All of NATO's 29 current members must ratify the accession agreement.
- Elon Musk Says 'Dog Mode' Is Coming to Tesla Cars This Week
- Bezos’ investigators conclude mistress’ brother is source behind leak
- Lloris warns Spurs they must up their game against Dortmund
- Gary Neville praises PSG performance and rates Man Utd's chance of progressing
- Chris Grayling incompetence over scrapped ferries contract is ‘off the scale’
- Email Provider's Servers Wiped in 'Catastrophic' Hack
- ‘Frozen 2’ Teaser: Disney Unveils First Look At Sequel
- Michelle Obama's Grammys Text Message Chat With Her Mom Is The Sweetest
- Joe Root's retort was natural, organic and rather wonderful
- Dua Lipa very subtly calls out Grammy President in her acceptance speech