A court decision in the airline's favour won't exactly outlaw the practice in the eyes of the courts, however Lufthansa hopes to dissuade passengers from using the hidden city trick by making an example out of one single, solitary traveller. Why is that possibly a big deal?
According to Forbes, Lufthansa is the third largest airline company in the world and made almost $3bn (£2.33bn) in profit in 2017.
Typically, although not in this case, the layover city is the final destination for skiplaggers. However, the passenger has no intention to ever travel to point C and instead just stops at point B as their final destination.
It can be a sneaky way to save money on fares, with direct flights sometimes costing more than stopover journeys.
Akshay Kumar teases Kesari sneak peek
Soon after its release, the post of Khiladi Kumar started getting a lot of positive replies for the first synopsis of Kesari . The film is a Bollywood production called Kesari , and it stars Akshay Kumar, the antagonist of 2.0 in the lead.
For instance, someone flying from NY to San Francisco could book a cheaper trip from NY to Lake Tahoe with a layover in San Francisco and get off there, without bothering to take the last leg of the flight. As George Hobica, founder of Airfarewatchdog told USA Today, hidden city ticketing could deprive other would-be travelers of seats they could use because you booked it instead.
Lufthansa, The Independent reported, is now pursuing payment from the passenger who it believes deliberately missed the last leg of the purchasing journey.
According to court documents, Lufthansa is seeking payment from the passenger, claiming he or she booked a flight from Oslo to Seattle via Frankfurt, the Daily Mail reports.
Airlines are unhappy with this as it can make it challenging to track passengers, it can cause delays as planes wait for flyers who never show, and that it unfairly takes advantage of the hub-and-spoke nature of airfares, which Lufthansa is particularly vulnerable to with Frankfurt and Munich airports. It is now seeking $2,385 in compensation.
- Retail inflation softens to 19-month low of 2.05% in January
- Huge Crowd Awaits Atiku, Obi For PDP Presidential Campaign In Lagos
- Cardi B deactivates Instagram after Grammys win
- May to MPs: We need to hold our nerve on Brexit talks
- Lloris warns Spurs they must up their game against Dortmund
- Kamala Harris Has Smoked Weed And Wants To Legalize It
- Mark Clattenburg argues Ashley Young’s challenge on Angel Di Maria was acceptable
- Plea to Thieves: Please Water the $90K Bonsai
- Chrome Gets A Handful of Official Themes
- You Can Buy Google Fi SIM Cards at Best Buy Now