In the middle of the road sat a squirming bundle; the 21-year-old could hear the screams over his vehicle radio, turned low as he delivered newspapers in Madera Ranchos, Calif., early Monday, per the Fresno Bee. He pulled over and was shocked to discover a newborn baby girl on the center line of the roadway.
Aurelio Fuentes Jr. was two hours into his rounds at around 4:00 a.m. when he spotted a "bright, white thing laying on the road" in the 35000 block of Avenue 13 ½, Madera, he told ABC30. "OK, you know, this is a baby".
"It could've been worse because out its pitch black its pitch black there could've been coyotes there's cars going by fast down that road", Fuentes told KFSN-TV. "She asked him to take her child, but he did not want to accept the baby and left the area". She was just hours old, according to the Madera County Sheriff's Office.
It is believed the newborn was on the road for a matter of minutes, ABCNews reported.
Massive crowds mark 40th anniversary of Iran revolution
Israel and Iran traded threats of mutual destruction on Monday as the Islamic Republic celebrated the 40th anniversary of its revolution.
The Madera County Sheriff's Office is handling the investigation now and working to track down the newborn's mother. But "as soon as I got out of the auto, I realized it was a real baby", he said. He referred her to a nearby fire station and hospital and left the area.
Witnesses describe the mother as a Latina who appeared to be in her early 20s. She was last seen fleeing the scene in the small SUV of unknown make or model, authorities said.
The child will be placed in the care of child protective services when she is fully recovered.
The baby was wearing one-piece flannel pajamas and was cold but otherwise healthy, deputies said. "We'd like to remind everyone that there are many safe surrender sites that will allow someone to surrender a newborn child without any questions asked".
- England Captain Tells Opponent 'There's Nothing Wrong With Being Gay'
- No deterioration in NZ-China relationship - Ardern
- Protests in Madrid against Catalan independence
- Ethics Commissioner launches investigation into SNC-Lavalin case
- Russian Federation plans to disconnect from the internet
- Jack Clarke: Leeds United teenager taken to hospital after Middlesbrough draw
- Fire in Delhi hotel kills 17, raises questions of safety
- Trump Supporter Attacks Photographer at El Paso Trump Rally
- Renault targets podiums as it launches RS19
- Five people found shot dead in East Texas home