Dhoni's brilliant skills and incredible reflexes gave India the much-needed breakthrough as he caught Seifert nearly an inch short of the crease.
Munro's belligerence earned him 72 off 40 balls, flaying the bowling with five fours and five sixes.
For New Zealand, a better batting effort in the middle overs is what they would be looking for. He was removed by Kuldeep Yadav when he skied a ball to Hardik Pandya running in from long-on.
3rd T20I, Preview: In a season of many firsts for the Indian cricket team, Rohit Sharma's men will be aiming to become first among the equals to win a T20 global series in New Zealand when the two sides clash in the final match here Sunday. After losing his opening partner, Rohit Sharma built a crucial partnership with Vijay Shankar.
Kendrick Lamar, Drake and Childish Gambino Denied Grammy Performances
Ariana Grande also pulled out after clashing with producers over which song to perform. Looming predictions of rain could also put a damper on this year's awards ceremony.
Kane Williamson 27 (21) and Colin de Grandhomme 30 (16) kept the run-rate around 10 before Daryl Mitchell and Ross Taylor struck 19 (11) and 14 (7) respectively to cap the innings. In the ninth over, Vijay Shankar got out in an attempt to up the ante after scoring 43 runs off 28 balls. In between these two dismissals, the Kiwis also got the wicket of a settled Rohit Sharma to tilt the odds in their favour.
On the tight loss in the series decider where India were chasing an imposing 213, Shankar said: "We played well right through the 20 overs".
The Black Caps have won the third match of the Twenty20 cricket series against India 2-1, bouncing back from a disappointing one-day campaign. If I can win matches for the team, that will automatically help me personally.
A first T20 series victory in New Zealand will be the icing on the cake for the "Men in Blue", who have far exceeded expectations during their three-month sojourn in this part of the world.
It proved in vain though as Southee used all of his experience to see New Zealand through and by the time Dinesh Karthik (33no), who inexplicably turned down a single midway through the final over, hit the last ball over extra cover for six, India were beaten.
- Designer 'desperate' to find NYFW performer after Kanye imposter scam
- United beat PSG confirmed: Edison Cavani injured
- Paul Pogba Gave His Shirt To A Fan Following Win Over Fulham
- MS Dhoni captains India in Rohit Sharma's absence vs New Zealand
- Re-elected UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin vows he won't be FIFA 'yes man'
- Mueller alleges Manafort continued work related to Ukraine despite 2017 indictment
- Trump seeks to undercut Schiff, complains about media coverage of Russian Federation probes
- Man dances his way through roadside sobriety test, charged with DUI
- This heart-shaped pigs-in-blanket is the ideal Valentine's gift
- Wells Fargo deals with tech issues for 2nd day, extends hours