The company's board of directors has named John Simon Interim Chief Executive Officer as the search for a new CEO continues.
The company, which has 20,000 employees, has assured its customers it expects to continue supplying power "without disruption". Williams, 57, took over as CEO in March 2017 and is leaving after a catastrophic three months for PG&E.
"While we are making progress as a company in safety and other areas, the Board recognizes the tremendous challenges PG&E continues to face", said Richard Kelly, chair of PG&E's board.
The Camp Fire, the most deadly and destructive fire in state history, has yet to be assigned an official cause, but PG&E reporting having an equipment malfunction near the spot around the same time the fire ignited.
Chris Pratt announces engagement to Schwarzenegger
And now he has posted on Instagram: "Sweet Katherine, so happy you said yes!" Proud to live boldly in faith with you. They announced separation in August 2017 and their divorced was finalised in October 2018.
California's wildfires in 2017 and 2018 will likely cost tens of billions of dollars. Such a notice would be required by state law. She was one of a group of women occupying the C-suite at power companies - including Duke Energy Corp.'s Lynn Good, El Paso Electric Co.'s Mary Kipp, PNM Resources Inc.'s Pat Vincent-Collawn and Sunrun Inc.'s Lynn Jurich.
The company's board chose to oust CEO Geisha Williams and undergo a restructuring at a board meeting this weekend in San Francisco, according to a source familiar with the matter. The wildfire caused 86 deaths and destroyed 14,000 homes, along with more than 500 businesses and 4,300 other buildings.
PG&E faces widespread litigation, government investigations and liabilities that could potentially reach $30 billion, according to the company, accounting for damage from fires past year and in 2017.
"PG&E faces extensive litigation and significant potential liabilities resulting from these wildfires". Shares of PG&E were already down 63% since the start of the Camp Fire.
-With assistance from David R. Baker and Peter Blumberg.
- The Favourite tipped for Critics' Choice Award glory
- Amir Khan agrees Terrence Crawford fight
- Kingdom Hearts 3 Epilogue Can't Be Watched Without an Internet Connection
- Elon Musk posts first glimpse of SpaceX's finished Starship test vehicle
- Pakistan tottering, South Africa smelling blood
- James Middleton Opens Up About His Battle With Mental Health Issues
- Family put on floor for two-hour flight
- Greater than six million individuals have had flu this season — CDC
- Pogba reveals Man Utd players' nickname for Solskjaer
- Alex de Minaur blasts Australian Open organizers over their schedule