The Defense Department did draw up the plans, but it is unclear if they were presented to the White House, or if the president knew of Bolton's request, according to the Journal.
The request came after mortars were launched by militants, affiliated with Iran, towards the United States embassy in Baghdad. The newspaper reported that the request sparked deep concern among Pentagon and State Department officials.
The Wall Street Journal has revealed that the White House's National Security Council asked the Pentagon previous year to provide it with options for launching a military attack against Iran.
While it is unclear if the proposals were eventually sent to the White House or if the president knew of the plans, Bolton's request anxious many in the Pentagon and the State Department concerned with the more hawkish approach toward Tehran.
Alongside the requests in regards to Iran, the NSC asked the Pentagon to provide the White House with options to respond with strikes in Iraq and Syria as well, according to people familiar with the talks, the WSJ said.
The Pentagon said it provides the president options for a variety of threats.
Kamala Harris to launch 2020 presidential run around MLK Day
She was the first woman attorney general of California and first African American to occupy that position. Colbert addressed reports that Harris plans to announce a presidential run on Martin Luther King Jr.
Prior to his appointment, he has often urged for military action against the nation, and has since worked to pull the USA out of the Obama-era nuclear deal with Iran with the support of President Trump.
A spokesman for the National Security Council was quoted in the Wall Street Journal, however, as saying: "We continue to review the status of our personnel following attempted attacks on our embassy in Baghdad and our Basra consulate, and we will consider a full range of options to preserve their safety and our interests".
There's no doubt that we could do plenty of damage to Iran if we chose to strike.
He has worked with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in implementing a more hardline approach to Iran since taking office.
Pompeo told Fox News that dozens of countries would attend the summit which would aim to "build out the global coalition" opposed to Iranian policies in the region.
- Game of Thrones unveils season 8 premiere date, new teaser trailer
- Arsenal lack consistency for top-four finish, says Emery
- Tim Scott says Steve King's comments damage 'our nation as a whole'
- New Bottled Brews Delayed By Government Shutdown
- White House asked for options to strike Iran
- USA to 'devastate Turkey economically' if it attacks Syrian Kurds
- Finn Balor Makes Surprise Appearance At NXT UK TakeOver Blackpool
- Antonio Brown Removes ‘Pittsburgh Steelers’ From Twitter Profile Bio
- One dead, 12 hospitalized in mass overdose in California
- Steve Buscemi's Wife Jo Andres Dead at 65