The average national temperature for January is 3.5C degrees. However, the cold weather may not affect the whole of the United Kingdom and it is still possible that some milder and wetter interludes will intersperse this generally cold period, especially in the south.
The Met Office said there are signs cold air from the east could make its way to the United Kingdom by the end of the month and into February, but experts do not believe the conditions would guarantee snowfall.
Sky weather producer Joanna Robinson said: "The rest of the weekend looks mild, with temperatures widely reaching 9C to 11C (48F to 52F) again on Sunday after a frost-free start".
"Normally at the end of January you would expect a maximum daytime temperature to be around 6C on the coast, in Dundee, or 3C-4C in the Highlands".
Scotland, northern England and even parts further south are on alert for wintry downpours towards the end of the week and into the weekend. "But there is nothing in the next week or so that could indicate any change like the Beast from the East".
"I think it is reasonable in that on Friday night there will be some snow in Scotland but we don't know how much of it will settle", Mr Bowles added.
"Through Wednesday a polar maritime air mass is going to push in from the west, but by the time we get to Thursday it will be an Arctic air mass", she said. It will bring a lot more moisture.
Samsung foldable phone reveal looks imminent, teased in new Paris billboards
The phone will be released in late March in South Korea, following the early March launch of the other Galaxy S10 models. The 12GB of RAM is certainly an eye-catching spec, but it's not the first time we've seen a rumor about it.
"Sunday night will bring a widespread frost to the north of the United Kingdom, with icy stretches possible".
This would bring an enhanced risk of snow and widespread frost nearly anywhere across the United Kingdom, but particularly across northern parts.
First of all, he says, "our weather is likely to become much colder during the second half of January and into February".
A sudden stratospheric warming has happened. He estimates a 70% chance of a severe cold spell around...
However, an update on Met Office website on Monday afternoon suggests that snow could arrive as soon as Saturday.
Heavy snowfall and extreme winter conditions have also left people stranded and cut off in countries including Germany, the Czech Republic and Austria in recent weeks.
- Indonesia finds voice recorder of Lion Air jet that crashed after take-off
- Donald Trump's trade war hits Chinese exports
- Anthony Scaramucci joins 'Celebrity Big Brother' cast
- ‘Game of Thrones’ S8 teaser has a dark foreshadowing
- Dillian Whyte Reacts To Anthony Joshua's Offer For Heavyweight Rematch
- Alex de Minaur blasts Australian Open organizers over their schedule
- This MASSIVE clue reveals the gender of Meghan Markle's baby
- James Middleton Opens Up About His Battle With Mental Health Issues
- Cleveland Browns to hire Todd Monken as offensive coordinator
- Ford Explorer ST debuts with 400 horses at Detroit Auto Show