The electric auto is a sleek, sexy crossover SUV with a design clearly cribbed from the equally stunning Escala concept vehicle shown in 2016, and while it doesn't have a name yet the development is being fast-tracked around a new modular EV platform General Motors only announced on Friday.
The look at the brand's first battery-electric vehicle came as part of the 2019 Detroit auto-show debut for the 2020 Cadillac XT6, a three-row crossover utility vehicle powered by a very conventional 3.6-liter V-6 gasoline engine.
Shares of Tesla (TSLA) tumbled 2.4 percent as manufacturers from Detroit to Japan unveiled new competition for buyers in the electric vehicle maker's key market at the Detroit Auto Show.
Cadillac's EV will be offered in both two- and all-wheel drive configurations globally and will use a rather unique battery architecture. Those details will be revealed closer to launch, we're told.
PG&E to File for Bankruptcy Amid Mounting Liabilities from CA Wildfires
The company, which has 20,000 employees, has assured its customers it expects to continue supplying power "without disruption". The company's board of directors has named John Simon Interim Chief Executive Officer as the search for a new CEO continues.
"It will represent the height of luxury and innovation while positioning Cadillac as the pinnacle of mobility", explains Cadillac president Steve Carlisle.
GM said the batteries and drive units will be the most advanced in this platform. We've just seen the reveal of the XT6 and also in the pipeline are a redesigned Escalade plus new CT4 and CT5 sedans. Overall, Cadillac will introduce new models at the rate of roughly one every six months through 2021.
"We talked about a huge investment in electric vehicles". It can also be transformed rapidly, for a "short design and development lead time", allowing the automaker to more quickly respond to changing consumer tastes.
The new SUV EV will take on the likes of Tesla's own electric SUV, the Model X.
- Amir Khan agrees Terrence Crawford fight
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook breaks Marco Belinelli’s ankle with vicious crossover
- Inexperienced Australians shock India in first ODI
- President Trump Slams Elizabeth Warren’s Instagram ‘Beer Catastrophe’
- Cold weather on the way later this month says Met Office
- Apple 'demanded $1bn' for Qualcomm to get iPhone deal
- Fuel hike sparks protests in Zimbabwe
- The Favourite tipped for Critics' Choice Award glory
- Cleveland Browns to hire Todd Monken as offensive coordinator
- China sentences Canadian man to death for drug smuggling