After Rep. Steve King (R-IA) was quoted downplaying the severity of the terms "white nationalist" and "white supremacist," he claimed to denounce those ideologies in an interview with NBC's Kasie Hunt.
"White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization - how did that language become offensive?"
Reacting to a story about King's comments, Cheney posted on Twitter: "These comments are abhorrent and racist and should have no place in our national discourse".
And Rep. Justin Amash of MI says: "This is an embrace of racism, and it has no place in Congress or anywhere".
Additionally, while King's statement Thursday afternoon appears to distinguish a support for Western civilization from a belief in white supremacy, he seemed to lump those ideas together in his quote in the Times. I want to make one thing abundantly clear; I reject those labels and the evil ideology that they define, ' King said in the statement, which did not deny the accuracy of the quotation.
Powell repeats pledge to remain 'patient' with rate hikes
Trump stepped up his criticism of the Fed's string of rate hikes past year after the market started falling sharply in October. The balance sheet "will be substantially smaller than it is now", though bigger than it was before the crisis, Powell said.
Asked to weigh in on King's comments, House Republican Whip Steve Scalise of Lousiana told reporters, "It's offensive to try to legitimize those terms". "Under any fair political definition, I am simply a Nationalist".
"We can't restore our civilization with somebody else's babies", he tweeted in 2017. "I'll just say I have responded to this and I think you understand where I stand".
King, 69, has been criticized by some Republicans for past remarks and narrowly won re-election in November after easy victories in previous years.
Steve King issued a statement rejecting white nationalism Thursday after facing pressure from both inside and outside his own conference for his comments on the subject. "I reject white nationalism, I reject white supremacy, it's not part of any of any of my ideology and I reject anybody who carries that ideology".
- Cyborg Wants To Join McGregor For Japan Exhibition
- Ohio State QB Tate Martell in transfer portal
- U.S. sanctions putting pressure on Iran and Iranians
- San Francisco Giants' Stadium Renamed to Oracle Park
- Missing Wisconsin teen found alive
- ‘The Accidental Prime Minister’: Bihar court orders FIR against actors
- New software cracking down on Netflix accounting sharing
- Meghan Markle will not return to Suits, after all that hype
- Samsung Galaxy S10 First Leaked Photo Revealed
- Australia praises Thai action on Saudi woman seeking asylum