Neither is expected to face Levante in the Copa del Rey on Thursday and Valverde refused to rule out the possibility of bolstering his options.
The absence of Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez hampered the holders' hopes of extracting a result although they do have a goal to take back to Camp Nou on January 17 thanks to Philippe Coutinho's potentially pivotal 85th-minute penalty.
Steve King's Comments on White Nationalism Earn Rebuke
King, 69, has been criticized by some Republicans for past remarks and narrowly won re-election in November after easy victories in previous years.
The defending champions were heading for a convincing defeat following early goals from Erick Cabaco and Borja Mayoral, who is on loan from Barca's rivals Real Madrid.
The on-loan Los Blancos attacker then fired another attempt wide of the post moments later, before Malcom just failed to meet an Ousmane Dembele cross down the other end as Levante led 2-0 at the interval.
Ernesto Valverde's no.2 Aspiazu was asked about Coutinho's recent form, where he made some interesting comments.
However, the Camp Nou outfit finally got a chance to reduce the deficit after being awarded a spot kick - which Philippe Coutinho successfully converted to hand his side an away goal advantage ahead of the second leg a week later.
Arsenal target Denis Suarez was brought on however and won his side's penalty with six minutes remaining after a superb individual run down the inside right channel.
- Duke's Williamson named ACC Freshman of the Week
- U.S. sanctions putting pressure on Iran and Iranians
- Bernie Sanders apologises for campaign sexual harassment
- San Francisco Giants' Stadium Renamed to Oracle Park
- Isner ousted in Round 2 of ASB Classic
- Morata to Atletico? I can't confirm or deny anything - Simeone
- Samsung Galaxy S10 First Leaked Photo Revealed
- New software cracking down on Netflix accounting sharing
- Florida Trooper Rescues Driver Who Slammed Into His SUV
- Perth-Born All-Rounder Alex Hepburn Accused of Rape