A medical assistant at the Sea Mar Community Health Center gives a patient a flu shot in Seattle on January 11, 2018.
Flu season lasts until May. "This is a tragic reminder that the flu can still kill and that children are particularly susceptible to the illness".
"It's a different season, different profile". Nationally, 80,000 people in that age group died after contracting the virus.
Flu cases last week fell to 257 from 369 the previous week.
No other details regarding the child's death have been released at this time.
Seventy-one of those kids had to be admitted to the ICU.
Theresa May brings ailing Brexit deal back to Parliament
May's fellow Conservative Party colleagues who support a hard Brexit , which would entail cutting nearly all ties to the EU. But there is little indication that many MPs have been swayed and the deal is nearly certain to be defeated on Tuesday.
The flu is making its rounds in nearly every state around the country and more people are coming down with the common flu symptoms.
Children less than two years old and adults older than 65.
Flu activity in ME is characterized by the Centers for Disease Control as local and minimal but the numbers are growing.
New Brunswick's peak might come somewhat sooner, as cases there began spreading in late November. Thirteen children have died from the flu so far this season.
As of December 29, New Brunswick had 579 lab-confirmed cases, 577 of them influenza A and two of influenza B. Of those, 71 people were hospitalized, 15 were admitted to the ICU and there were three deaths. These tests are rapid, like the name suggests but depending on the actual strain of the virus going around they can have varying success in properly identifying the flu. H3N2, the strain largely responsible for last year's outbreak, has so far been less common than the H1N1 strain.
Dr Kelleher said that while most people will get better themselves from flu, anyone who was concerned about their condition should telephone their GP or an out-of-hours medical service so they could arrange to be treated in a way that did not put others at risk.
The doctor said only 35 per cent of children aged six months to 23 months have been immunized.
- Adam Gase to Become New York Jets' Head Coach
- Bird Box Monster From Cut Scene Revealed
- More people watched the Democrats' rebuttal to Trump than his actual speech
- Audi’s Virtual Reality Experience Moves With The Car
- See the gargantuan yacht Jerry Jones reportedly bought for $250 million
- R. Kelly facing criminal investigations after Lifetime documentary exposes abuse allegations
- Jeff Bezos' Alleged Affair Revealed Hours After Announcing Divorce
- Ireland to receive migrants after Malta agreement
- DRC police gather outside electoral commission
- Larry Ellison Invests $1B In Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA)