In the aftermath of the incident, the FAA implemented a temporary ground stop for Burbank flights departing from airports within about a three-hour flying distance of Burbank, Gregor said.
The FAA says the safety system is in use at 63 airports nationwide, including San Francisco, Oakland and Monterey. No injuries or fatalities were reported at he time of writing. Flight 278, carrying 112 passengers and five crew, had just landed in Burbank on a flight from Oakland, said Brandy King, a spokeswoman for the Dallas-based carrier.
Emergency slides have also been deployed to help passengers off.
"Mud was hitting the windows", passenger Grant Palmer said.
Donald Trump calls Rex Tillerson 'dumb as a rock' after critical interview
He said Tillerson "didn't have the mental capacity needed for the job" while praising Tillerson's replacement, Mike Pompeo. That's not really a Tillerson insult , except that getting fired via Twitter was seen by many as pretty insulting.
Clapping erupted on the plane after it came to a stop, passengers who were grateful to the pilot for his response said.
One of the airport's runways is closed but the airport is open, and all airlines are operational, according to the airport Twitter account.
Around the time of the incident, visibility in the airport dropped to 1 mile.
It skidded off the end of the tarmac during torrential rain in the Los Angeles County area.
Over six hours, the area received 1.66 inches of rain.
- Counter-Strike Adds Battle Royale Mode, Goes Free-To-Play
- Airbnb removes Costa Rica listing after slaying
- Hasbro Reveals First Captain Marvel Products
- More Details For Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order
- Woman dies from brain-eating amoeba after using neti pot
- Matthew Dellavedova could be headed back to Cleveland via trade
- Trumps to attend state funeral for George HW Bush
- Nissan Now Taking Orders for the Ultra-Chic GT-R50
- Man coughs up a part of his lung after being hospitalised
- Jeep Wrangler scores 1 star in the Euro NCAP