Doctors were surprised by the blood clot cast.
Doctors were treating him with oxygen tanks when he had the coughing fit.
After previously coughing up other, smaller blood clots, the man let out a big one, and up came this folded-over clot in the exact shape of his right bronchial tree, one of the primary parts of the lung.
However, anticoagulants can cause problems if a breach occurs in the blood-vessel network, which happened in this extraordinary case; blood broke out of the patient's pulmonary network into his lower right lung.
Trump Announces Bill Barr As His Attorney General Pick
Mr Barr is the kind of nominee Senate Republicans - whose votes will be needed for confirmation - know and are comfortable with. Barr added that he "would have liked to see him have more balance on this group".
Wieselthaler called the occurrence "very, very, very rare". And, during a rather extreme hack, he coughed up "an intact cast of the right bronchial tree".
Reports say the man had a rare ejection fraction deficiency (which relates to how much blood is pumped with each contraction), which meant his organ was operating at around 50 percent less than the normal rate.
The patient later died from heart failure complications.
Doctors aren't quite sure how the clot stayed intact while being coughed up, but Dr Wieselthaler suspects it could be due to the patient's higher level of fibringen in his blood, which acts like a glue.
You might think twice about the phrase "cough up a lung" after reading this.
- Cardi B is nominated five times at the 2019 Grammys
- UN to vote on Haley's last stand: condemning Hamas
- Trump Opens Fire On Mueller, Comey As New Revelations Expected Today
- Ariana Grande on failed romances
- Reality Star Jael Strauss Dead at 34
- Tyler Perry Just Paid Off 2 Walmart Layaway Departments in Atlanta
- World's first baby born via womb transplant from deceased donor
- Russian Military Tracks US Destroyer in Sea of Japan - MoD
- Alabama's Tua Tagovailoa wins Walter Camp, Maxwell awards
- Deontay Wilder: Team Joshua must have 'thrown up' watching Fury fight