"Chang´e-4 is humanity´s first probe to land on and explore the far side of the moon", said the mission´s chief commander He Rongwei of China Aerospace Science and Technology Corp, the main state-owned space contractor. The other face, most of which can not be seen from earth, is called the far side or dark side, not because it's dark, but because most of it remains unknown.
On board is a lander which, if all goes smoothly, will soon make history by touching down on the far side of the Moon. It's mission will be to explore the composition of the lunar surface.
Chang'e 4 follows a series of Chinese lunar missions, including two orbiters and a lander.
To facilitate communication between controllers on Earth and the Chang'e 4 mission, China in May launched a relay satellite named Queqiao, or "Magpie Bridge, " after an ancient Chinese folk tale.
Ten experiments - six from China and four from overseas - include planting potatoes and other seeds.
In this photo released by Xinhua News Agency, the Chang'e 4 lunar probe launches from the the Xichang Satellite Launch Center.
More celebrities arrive in Udaipur for Isha Ambani's pre-wedding ceremony
Bollywood actor Parineeti Chopra arrives at the Udaipur airport for the pre-wedding celebration of Isha Ambani-Anand Piramal. The three were all smiles as they posed for photographs and were seen chit-chatting with each other.
The experiments also involve planting potato and other seeds, according to Chinese media reports.
The Chang´e 4 mission is a step in that direction, significant for the engineering expertise needed to explore and settle the moon, McDowell said.
"Chang'e" takes its name from the goddess of the moon in Chinese mythology.
An artist's conception shows the Chang'e-4 rover on the lunar surface. During the lunar day, also lasting 14 earth days, temperatures soar as high as 127 C (261 F).
Instruments must withstand those fluctuations and generate enough energy to sustain it during the long night. China has promoted worldwide cooperation in its lunar exploration program, with four scientific payloads in the Chang'e-4 mission developed by scientists from the Netherlands, Germany, Sweden and Saudi Arabia.
However, while China has insisted its ambitions are purely peaceful, the U.S. Defense Department has accused it of pursuing activities aimed at preventing other nations from using space-based assets during a crisis.
China has promoted worldwide cooperation in its lunar exploration program, with four scientific payloads of the Chang'e-4 mission developed by scientists from Netherlands, Germany, Sweden and Saudi Arabia.
- Splashdown! SpaceX Rocket Topples into Water Following Technical Glitch
- Google One Subscribers Get $125 Off Pixel 3
- Daughter of 'Baby, It's Cold Outside' Songwriter Says He'd Be Horrified Over
- YouTube’s creators hit meme bingo in Rewind 2018
- Manchester United players and Jose Mourinho have 'no problems' - Matteo Darmian
- Kay Felder Arrested in Toronto for Assaulting Woman, Released from Raptors 905
- Ukrainian Embassy in Nigeria condemns Russia’s seizure of ships
- Italy police arrest mafia's alleged new mob boss in Sicily
- Rwandan court drops all charges against opposition figure
- James Corden Loves On Jeff Goldblum In Hilarious 'Thank U, Next' Parody