United States media report he has been critical of some aspects of that inquiry.
Barr, 68, a Republican lawyer, served as attorney general under George H.W. Bush, who passed away last week at the age of 94.
Williams said the "problem" with Barr as a pick is the question of "how would he view the Mueller probe". He is now a lawyer at Kirkland & Ellis and does work advising corporations on government enforcement and regulatory actions.
Will Democrats derail his appointment?
During this time, he studied law at night at George Washington University.
"Unfortunately, beginning in July, when he announced the outcome of the FBI investigation into Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server while secretary of state, he crossed a line that is fundamental to the allocation of authority in the Justice Department", Barr wrote in the 2017 article. He sailed through the Senate confirmation process in November 1991, receiving unanimous approval via a Senate voice vote. He also worked at the Central Intelligence Agency in the 1970s and in the Reagan White House in the early 1980s.
Mr Barr holds degrees in government and Chinese studies from Columbia University.
House Democrat seeks emergency hearing on North Carolina election
If accurate, those results would mean every unaffiliated absentee voter, as well as some Democrats, went for the Republican. Specifically there are allegations in Bladen County that absentee ballots were illegally stacked in favor of Harris.
As a young lawyer, he clerked for the DC appeals court.
"I would hope (Trump) would pick someone who would be by the book and not by the politics", Feinstein said.
In 1989, he was appointed by President Bush to head the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel. "Those are the best attorneys general", said Democratic Sen.
As the top U.S. law official at that time, he oversaw Robert Mueller, who was then leading the department's criminal division.
After leaving the Justice Department, Barr served in a variety of high-level corporate positions, including as general counsel and executive vice president of Verizon Communications.
What has he said about the Russian Federation inquiry?
How does Barr view the Mueller investigation?
"I have worked with him for over 25 years and I believe it would be a great choice", Cullen told ABC News.
He was my first choice from day one.
- George H.W. Bush’s funeral and memorial services plan
- Emery proud of Arsenal after Holding, Ramsey injuries mar Old Trafford draw
- Microsoft Confirms Edge will use Chromium Rendering Engine, Launches Insider Program
- Arsenal players 'reminded of responsibilities' following laughing gas video
- Christmas tree shortage continues to have people digging deeper in their wallets
- Facebook's ranking drops in 'best places to work' list
- Withdrawing US, NATO Troops From Afghanistan Risks '9/11' Recurrence - Pentagon
- What Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle's body language says about 'rift'
- Unai Emery has jokingly responded to Marouane Fellaini pulling on Guendouzi's hair
- Michigan Republicans following Wisconsin's lead in curbing Democrats' power