Former WBC light heavyweight champion Adonis Stevenson remains "stable under the circumstances, but [in] critical" condition following injuries suffered in Saturday night's TKO loss to Oleksandr Gvozdyk in Quebec City, Quebec, Canada.
A former WBC champion who was boxing's oldest and longest-reigning titleholder before losing to Gvozdyk (16-0, 13 KOs), "Superman" Stevenson (29-2-1, 24 KOs) had reigned for almost 5 ½ years.
On Sunday in Quebec took the fight 41-year-old Stevenson, and 31-year-old Oleksandr gvozdik, the match ended with the victory of the Ukrainian boxer with a knockout in the 11th round.
Stevenson was taken from the ring and instantly transported to the hospital where doctors have no doubt been frantically working to stabilize his condition for now.
"He suffers from severe traumatic brain injury", Alexis Turgeon told reporters.
Arsenal players 'reminded of responsibilities' following laughing gas video
Gunners stars Henrikh Mkhitaryan , 29, and Shkodran Mustafi , 26, are also apparently in the footage but are not seen with the balloons.
"Mr. Stevenson had surgery in the night from Saturday to Sunday and then was placed in the intensive care unit".
Stevenson's partner, Simone God, also made her first public comments Tuesday, thanking people for their messages of support. Promoted by Yvon Michel, Stevenson entered his fight with Gvozdyk at 9-0-1 with seven KOs in championship bouts, including his title-winning 76-second stoppage of Chad Dawson in June 2013.
Turgeon noted that Stevenson requires "mechanical respiratory assistance, deep sedation and specialized neurological monitoring".
Stevenson was making the 10th defence of his WBC title at the Videotron Centre before a flurry on punches from Gvozdyk ended the contest.
- Brie Larson on the Female Friendship at the Heart of CAPTAIN MARVEL
- Michigan Republicans following Wisconsin's lead in curbing Democrats' power
- Russian Military Tracks US Destroyer in Sea of Japan - MoD
- Trump Opens Fire On Mueller, Comey As New Revelations Expected Today
- Trump Announces Bill Barr As His Attorney General Pick
- Alabama's Tua Tagovailoa wins Walter Camp, Maxwell awards
- Reality Star Jael Strauss Dead at 34
- Liverpool lose Joe Gomez for six weeks
- Julian Assange: Ecuador president reveals 'PATH' for Wikileaks founder to leave embassy
- China promises prompt action on U.S. trade pact