Valbuena received plenty of playing time during the final stages of the Cubs' rebuilding before he was traded with pitcher Dan Straily to the Astros for switch-hitter Dexter Fowler prior to the 2015 season.
Former Pirates infielder Jose Castillo was killed in an automobile accident in his native Venezuela late Thursday night, along with free agent infielder Luis Valbuena. "We lost our players Luis Valbuena and José Castillo in a traffic accident", the Venezuelan club tweeted. The chauffeur and infielder Carlos Rivero, a teammate of Valbuena and Castillo who was also in the vehicle, survived.
Former Pirates Player Jose Castillo Killed In Crash In Venezuela
The Angels also made a statement: "We are deeply saddened to hear of the passing of former Angel Luis Valbuena and former Major League Baseball infielder José Castillo". In an 11-year major league career, he batted.226 with a.310 on-base percentage, a.394 slugging percentage, 114 homers and 367 RBIs in 1,011 games.
Castillo, 37, played the first four of his five major-league seasons with the Pirates from 2004-07. He began his career in Pittsburgh, then moved onto the San Fransisco Giants before ending with he Astros.
Rivero, 30, had a brief major league stint with the Boston Red Sox in 2014. He hit nine home runs and drove in 33 runs for the Halos in 96 games in 2018.
Julian Assange: Ecuador president reveals 'PATH' for Wikileaks founder to leave embassy
In November a filing error revealed that Mr Assange faced charges in the U.S. - although it was not clear what those charges were. Julian Assange speaks to the media from the balcony of the Embassy Of Ecuador on May 19, 2017 in London, England.
- What Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle's body language says about 'rift'
- How to Watch the Game Awards
- Brie Larson on the Female Friendship at the Heart of CAPTAIN MARVEL
- Singer Mika Singh detained in UAE over sexual harassment charges
- Jose Mourinho angry Manchester United 'always shoot themselves'
- Ocasio-Cortez Promises $15-an-hour Intern "Living Wage" (Math & Economics Disagree)
- Kevin Hart steps down as Oscars host after old homophobic comments resurface
- Delivery driver arrested at Cheesecake Factory amid chaos over restaurant promotion
- Mortal Kombat 11 Revealed, Arriving Next Year
- All clear after bomb threat forces evacuation of CNN offices