Six of the eight 2019 nominees for Best New Artist are women.
While male acts dominated the nominations in the main categories last year, five of this year's best album nominees are women, with Cardi B, Brandi Carlile, HER, Janelle Monae and Kacey Musgraves competing against Drake, Post Malone and the Black Panther soundtrack. Chris Stapleton - "Say Something" Zedd, Maren Morris, and Grey - "The Middle" Best Pop Vocal AlbumCamila Cabello - CamilaKelly Clarkson - Meaning of LifeAriana Grande - SweetenerShawn Mendes - Shawn MendesPink - Beautiful TraumaTaylor Swift - ReputationBest Rap PerformanceCardi B - "Be Careful" Drake - "Nice for What" Kendrick Lamar, Jay Rock, Future, & James Blake - "King's Dead" Anderson.Paak - "Bubblin" Travis Scott, Drake, Big Hawk, & Swae Lee - "Sicko Mode" Best Rap/Sung CollaborationChristina Aguilera ft.
One year on from outgoing Recording Academy president Neil Portnow telling women to "step up" women are far better represented women in this year's nominations.
And Cardi B - the 26-year-old rapper from New York's Bronx neighborhood whose "Bodak Yellow" catapulted her to runaway success - scored five, including two of the most prestigious.
Cardi B nominated for album of the year
In the Best Jazz Instrumental Album category, Wayne Shorter received his 21st Grammy nomination, for Emanon.
That's great, but it's also notable that DAMN, which was one of the year's biggest albums in terms of both critical and fan reception, wasn't nominated for Record Of The Year or Album Of The Year.
Her saucy summer hit "I Like It" - which features Puerto Rican Latin trap artist Bad Bunny and Colombian reggaeton star J Balvin - is among those up for Record of the Year.
Drake, a Grammy veteran, also sits at the top of the list with seven nominations for his 2018 album, Scorpion.
Among this year's major snubs, Jay-Z and his pop queen wife Beyonce were left out of the top categories despite acclaim for their joint project "Everything is Love". R&B legend Toni Braxton walked away with three nods, including Best R&B Performance, Best R&B, Song and Best R&B Album for Sex and Cigarettes.
All clear after bomb threat forces evacuation of CNN offices
"Several fire alarm bells rang inside CNN's NY newsroom, signaling an evacuation shortly after 10:30 p.m.", CNN itself reported . Just two months ago, bombs were sent to the CNN, as well as top Democrats like Barack Obama and the Clintons.
- China promises prompt action on U.S. trade pact
- Former light heavyweight world champion Adonis Stevenson had emergency brain surgery
- Liverpool lose Joe Gomez for six weeks
- Trump Announces Bill Barr As His Attorney General Pick
- Russian Military Tracks US Destroyer in Sea of Japan - MoD
- Reality Star Jael Strauss Dead at 34
- Santiago Solari praises out of favour Isco after Copa del Rey double
- Withdrawing US, NATO Troops From Afghanistan Risks '9/11' Recurrence - Pentagon
- Brie Larson on the Female Friendship at the Heart of CAPTAIN MARVEL
- Deontay Wilder: Team Joshua must have 'thrown up' watching Fury fight