Or is it just more of what we have come to expect year after year, the Newcastle United owner yet again pretending to try and sell the club, the whole thing just a farce to justify not backing Rafa in the January transfer window whilst at the same time once more winding the supporters up?
"I'd like it to be before the January transfer window", he told Sky News' Ian King show.
In Ashley's 11-year ownership of Newcastle, the club have been relegated twice, have been involved in the controversial sackings of Kevin Keegan and Chris Hughton, and changed the stadium's name for commercial interests.
Ashley, who bought Newcastle in 2007 for £135m, has set an asking price of £300m for the Magpies.
Asked if a deal being struck before 2019 was realistic, Ashley said the word "possible" would be a more accurate description.
Former America's Next Top Model Contestant Jael Strauss Dead at 34
Friends and loved ones have been showing their support for Strauss on social media and the impact she had on their lives. I need another one of those miracles that I got back in 2013" ― a reference to her overcoming substance abuse that year.
Ashley's specific timeframe of "before the January transfer window" suggests he is well aware the Newcastle squad needs strengthening, but is unwilling to be the man responsible for it.
"[Is that] Realistic? It's possible. Hopefully we can carry on our recent good form and get the deal done".
Newcastle had a hard start to the season under Rafa Benitez but three wins in a row moved them up the table before a 3-0 home defeat by West Ham United at the weekend.
There are rumours circulating that Ashely, via his lawyers, has spoken with buyers but is yet to see evidence of proof of funds, whilst some senior Newcastle staff members are believed to be "skeptical" about how honest Ashley was during his Sky interview.
That has left manager Rafael Benitez's future in doubt with the 58-year-old Spaniard, who is out of contract at the end of this season, having been disappointed with the club's transfer dealings for much of his reign to date.
- Microsoft pokes fun at Apple's iPad Pro in new Surface Go ad
- 'Sexist, Racist, Disgusting' Article On Priyanka Chopra Enrages Sonam Kapoor And Twitter
- First baby born using uterus transplanted from dead donor a 'resounding success'
- RBI keeps repo rate unchanged at 6.5%, lowers inflation forecast sharply
- George Soros’ graduate school says it is being forced out of Hungary
- James Rodriguez: 'I want to stay at Bayern Munich'
- Pokemon Go Is Adding Trainer Battles To The Game This Month
- With two injuries how will Chelsea line up against Wolves on Wednesday?
- Huawei Mate 20 Pro goes on sale in India on Amazon
- Marine Planes Crash Off Japan Coast, Search and Rescue Underway