One of the legends of country music, guitarist and singer Roy Clark, has died. In 1960, Clark opened for Wanda Jackson in Las Vegas, and would go on to co-headline in Lake Tahoe with Andy Griffith and appear on Dick Clark's American Bandstand in the years that followed. He started playing guitar at age 14, and a year later was performing in his father's square dance band.
He was first invited to the Grand Ole Opry as a teenager, after winning a national banjo competition in 1950. Clark also frequently guest-hosted The Tonight Show for Jonny Carson in the '70s, a rare opportunity for a country performer.
'Toxic' Is Oxford Dictionaries' Word Of 2018
In 2018, toxic added many strings to its poisoned bow becoming an intoxicating descriptor for the year's most talked about topics. They added the "sheer scope" of its application made it the "standout choice" for word of the year.
Throughout Hee Haw's long run, Clark maintained his fruitful solo career, earning further Top Ten hits with "I Never Picked Cotton" and "If I Had It to Do All Over Again". While he was first and foremost a country artist, Clark was something of a polymath, with facility in rock, jazz and pop; he became the first country artist to play at the Montreux Jazz Festival and recorded an album with jazz artist Joe Pass in 1994.
In 1982 Clark won the Grammy for best country instrumental performance for "Alabama Jubilee". New York Yankees icon Mickey Mantle loved the song so much he implored Clark to play it as his funeral, a request which the musician honored when the time came in 1995.
- Kuchar, Westwood win for first time since April 20, 2014
- Sir Elton John takes centre stage in John Lewis Christmas advert
- Doctor Who finale details revealed - and it sounds unbelievable !
- US Could Become Single Largest Oil, Gas Producer: IEA
- Here's The First Trailer For Tim Burton's Live-Action DUMBO
- Transfer deadline day: Premier League summer window to close early again
- My Health Record Opt-Out Date Has Been Extended
- Facebook bug allowed other sites to view users' likes and interests
- Tom Cruise to Be Replaced in 'Jack Reacher' Reboot
- Rooney to wear 10 shirt, captain's armband in England farewell