Donald Trump didn't attend an event honouring United States military dead because he didn't want to disrupt the traffic in Paris, the White House explained on Sunday.
The US President had been scheduled to visit the American war cemetery at Belleau, about 90 kilometres east of the French capital, on Saturday but cancelled the visit.
A woman charged President Donald Trump's motorcade as it carried him along Paris' Avenue des Champs-Élysées for a World War I Armistice ceremony. The White House cited weather conditions that grounded the president's helicopter for the cancellation.
It didn't help matters to see his Chief of Staff General John Kelly, who Trump sent in his place, attend the ceremony in the lightest of drizzles.
"They died with their face to the foe and that pathetic inadequate Donald Trump couldn't even defy the weather to pay his respects", Churchill's descendant Sir Nicholas Soames said.
Neo-Nazi couple that named their baby after Adolf Hitler convicted
Far right parties have grown in much of Europe in the last few years; but in Britain they remain on the fringes of political life. It was also shown pictures of Thomas wearing a white KKK hood, while posing in front of the confederate flag holding a machete.
Earlier on Saturday, after arriving at Paris, Trump held a bilateral meeting with French President Macron. During World War 1, USA troops were involved in a crucial battle at the nearby Belleau Wood where they suffered almost 10,000 casualties.
The jibe from the French military came after social media users picked up Justin Trudeau's rain-soaked appearance at the weekend, seized on by many as a rebuke to Trump's non-attendance.
Ben Rhodes, who served as deputy national security adviser for strategic communications under President Barack Obama, said the excuse about the inclement weather did not stand up.
On Sunday, he attended a scheduled event at a U.S. cemetery on the outskirts of Paris. In the photograph, Obama is seen balancing an umbrella on his shoulder as he delivered his speech on 2010 Memorial Day amid heavy rain.
Mr Trump was reluctant to bring extra Paris traffic for a last-minute motorcade, officials said.
Trump later attended the remembrance services with other world leaders to mark the centenary of the end of the First World War.
- CNN sues Trump, demanding return of Acosta to White House
- Weather menacing for crews battling deadly California wildfires
- Security Guard Shot Dead By Police Officer at Suburban Chicago Bar
- Alonso seeks triple crown in return to Indy 500 in 2019
- Sara Ali Khan on nepotism, stepmom Kareena Kapoor
- Emotional fans pay tribute to Stan Lee
- Trump cancels WW1 memorial at US cemetery in France due to rain
- British PM eyes Brexit endgame, but not at any cost
- Victoria Beckham delivers acceptance speech 'Spice Girls' fans will love
- 4 odd stats from the Jets' blowout loss to the Bills