"We are very pleased to have the assistance of Christie's to help us with the important matter of managing our beloved father's archives and his unique and precious collection of personal and professional belongings, chronicling his life and work", the physicist's daughter, Lucy Hawking, said before the sale.
All proceeds from the wheelchair will go to the Stephen Hawking Foundation and the Motor Neurone Disease Association.
According to the Associated Press, Hawking's 1965 Cambridge University thesis, "Properties of Expanding Universes", sold for 584,750 pounds (nearly $767,000 in U.S currency), over three times the pre-sale estimate.
The motorized chair, used by Hawking after he was paralyzed with motor neuron disease - also called Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) or Lou Gehrig's disease - raised 296,750 pounds in a Christie's online auction.
Hawking instead lived for many more decades, dying this past March at age 76.
Tip: Crackdown is Free for Xbox One and Xbox 360
For Final Fantasy fans, Final Fantasy 13, 13-2, and Lightning Returns will be available to play next week. PUBG will be added November 12th while Hellblade will be added December 17th.
The British theoretical physicist and cosmologist, famed for his work exploring the origins of the universe, .
A copy of his 1988 best-seller "A Brief History of Time", signed with a thumbprint, sold for about 89,000 dollars.
The motorized wheelchair he used from the late 1980's until the mid-90's sold for about $390,000, or 20 times the initial estimate.
A script from one of his appearances on the television series "The Simpsons" was one of the 22 items in the auction, selling for more than $8,000.
- 'Bachelor' mansion reportedly burned in California wildfire
- 3 reasons why Manchester United will beat Manchester City
- Macron, Trump in show of unity after defence row
- New Zealand defeat Pakistan by 47 runs in first ODI
- China's exports to US tick up as traders try to beat tariffs
- Nationals' Ownership Rejected Bryce Harper Trade To Astros
- Melbourne stabbing being treated as terrorism
- Updated Mitsubishi L200 Pickup Unveiled With Fresh Styling, Enhanced 4WD System
- LaMelo Ball gets LeBron billboard treatment in move to Ohio
- Jordan opens shelter as flash flood death toll climbs to 11