Those killed in the floods include two women and a girl who died in severe floods in Dabaa area in Al Jiza district, Minister of State for Media Affairs Jumana Ghunaimat said in a statement obtained by The Jordan Times Friday.
A parliamentary committee formed to investigate the 25 October incident found that some Jordanian ministries were negligent and has prompted questions over how prepared government agencies are to handle such emergencies. At least nine others have been wounded.
"Rescuers are searching for five people who are missing in that area", the source said.
In the Mlaih district of the Madaba governorate, where a young girl was killed when her family's vehicle was swept away by flood waters, rescue teams and divers were on the scene searching for other missing people, Jordan's official Petra news agency reported.
Citizens in Jordan and across the country have been warned to stay away from valleys and low areas and to remain indoors in case of heavy rain, and to only leave their homes if they really need to.
The Madaba region, the Maan governorate and the ancient city of Petra were among the areas hit hardest by Friday's storms.
Nationals' Ownership Rejected Bryce Harper Trade To Astros
With Harper, they would've improved their outfield and added a prolific hitter to the lineup to help compete against the Red Sox. According to Rosenthal, the Astros would have sent right-hander J.B.
Hundreds of Petra visitors ran for higher ground Friday as water surged through a narrow canyon leading to the Treasury, Petra's main attraction.
The bad weekend weather also saw over 3,700 tourists evacuated by the authorities from the world famous historic site of Petra.
Ongoing rainfall in the Daba'a region of southern Jordan also led to the closure of the desert highway in both directions, said Ghuneimat.
Authorities declared a state of emergency in the Red Sea port city of Aqaba further south as downpours started in the afternoon.
More rain is expected on Friday night and Saturday, and schools have been opened to evacuees and those affected by the floods.
Spanish tourist Rafael Delgado described the moment the torrent of water struck at Petra and flooded the area "in three or four minutes".
- Are you happy with the outcome of the US midterm election?
- Stephen Hawking’s wheelchair sells for $393,000 at auction
- The BMW M8 could have more than 600 horsepower
- Kuchar sinks eight birdies to take the lead in Mexico
- Satanic Temple Sues Netflix For Copyright Issues In "Adventures Of Sabrina"
- Steelers-Ravens II: Different month, same pressure to win
- Jo Johnson quits and calls for a second referendum
- Federer eyes ATP Finals crown to reach career 100
- Appeals court rules against Trump administration’s effort to end DACA
- Steelers receiver Antonio Brown pulled over for going 100 mph