Also slated to close is a Sears store in Marquette Mall in Michigan City, Ind. Liquidation sales at the stores are expected to begin next week. According to Business Insider, by February 2019, when the latest Sears store closures will be completed, there will be only about 500 Sears and Kmart stores still in business.
Sears, which operates both its namesake department stores and the Kmart discount chain, is trying to reorganize in Chapter 11 bankruptcy and said last month that it will close 142 unprofitable stores. The number of stores had peaked in 2012 at 4,000, including its Sears Canada division that was later spun off.
Fewer than 90,000 people still worked for Sears Holdings earlier this year, down from 350,000 in decades past.
Toshiba pulls out of United Kingdom nuclear power venture
Sue Ferns, senior deputy general secretary of scientists' union Prospect, called for state intervention to save the scheme, saying the future of the United Kingdom nuclear industry was at stake.
Company officials have blamed a variety of factors, including competition from online vendors and a change in consumer buying habits.
Sears Holdings is shutting down another 40 stores as the once dominant player in retail struggles to survive in bankruptcy.
A Sears Holdings spokesperson could not be reached immediately to comment on the closure or the number of workers affected.
- By hook or crook, lead is all that matters to Garcia
- Twelve Dead After Mass Shooting At California Bar's College Student Night
- You have until November 18 to download Destiny 2 for free
- Ranveer Singh, Deepika Padukone head to Italy for their wedding
- Harmanpreet Kaur battled stomach cramps, back issues during sensational innings
- Canada apologizes for turning away Jews fleeing Nazi Germany
- Sabathia agrees to $8M deal to stay with Yankees
- Ingles spoils Hayward's return as Jazz top Celtics
- Five die in California wildfires, 150,000 forced to flee
- Don't get carried away with rumours on Brexit border breakthrough, Ireland warns