Malibu has about 13,000 residents and lies along 21 miles (34 kilometers) of coast at the southern foot of the mountain range.
Los Angeles county and city crews were assisting in the firefight, which was taking place as a second, larger brush fire raged further west in Ventura County in the Santa Rosa Valley/Thousand Oaks area. The Santa Anas are strong, dry winds that high-pressure systems push from east to west, from the mountains and desert areas down into the Los Angeles area.
Pepperdine on Friday closed its Malibu and Calabasas campuses because of the approaching blaze. There is also a power outage in the Big Rock neighborhood, which is outside the immediate evacuation area. Area hospitals have evacuated and all of Butte County schools have closed Friday.
Also in Ventura County, a brush fire broke out about 2 p.m. Thursday and grew to 6,000 acres by Friday morning.
California Lutheran University had already canceled Friday classes due to the shooting.
Two wildfires raging west of Los Angeles have force thousands of people to leave their homes.
Rajinikanth hits out at AIADMK for protests against Vijay-starrer Sarkar
Unprecedented events transpired outside theatres across Tamil Nadu where the film's posters and banners were damaged. According to Shanmugam, the actor is instigating violence against the government "under the guise of the movie".
It had burned 8,000 acres and there was no containment or expected containment, according to a Ventura County Fire Department update at 3:30 a.m.
The 101 freeway is closed as the both the Hill and Woolsey fires have jumped the freeway near Camarillo as well as in Agoura Hills near Malibu.
The blaze, known as the Woolsey Fire, is spreading south, has jumped a major highway and is now threatening coastal areas including parts of Malibu.
Driven by 50 to 60 miles per hour wind gusts the brush fire is zero percent contained and also jumped Highway 101 near Chesebro Road in Agoura Hills on Friday morning. "You pose a danger to yourself and emergency responders", Ventura County Fire Department Captain Scott Dettorre said about the drivers.
Firefighters had their hands full, as another blaze to the north, the Hill Fire, prompted mandatory evacuations in Newbury Park and a closure of the 101 Freeway from Borchard Rd.to Pleasant Valley Rd.
No fatalities have been reported as of Thursday evening and 15,000 homes remain under threat.
- Adriana Lima Cries At Her Last-Ever Victoria’s Secret Show
- Verizon Prepaid is getting cheaper, now supports tablets and larger families
- Behind the Bionic Mushrooms That Generate Electricity
- Arsenal held at home by Sporting
- Harper to draw ‘historical’ offers — Major League Baseball free agency
- Vietnam to host first ever grand prix in 2020
- White woman in viral racist rant facing 911 violation charge
- 1 dead in Melbourne stabbing; man attacked cops before being shot
- Melbourne attack: One dead after deadly Bourke Street knife rampage
- McConnell touts 'bipartisanship,' warns Democrats against 'presidential harassment'