"I'm comfortable with the alternative (to signing Harper)", Rizzo said Tuesday.
The Nationals offered Harper a new deal on the last day of the final homestand in September, but Harper's camp rejected it.
Boras tabbed Harper as a "generational" and "iconic" player - citing the Nationals' stark increase in attendance, television ratings and overall franchise value since Harper joined the team.
But people familiar with the offer also indicate it is now off the table, an offer meant to capitalize on the Nationals' exclusive negotiating rights with Harper that stood for five weeks until the 26-year-old officially became a free agent.
The Dodgers offered Puig in a trade, according to a person with knowledge of the situation, but the two sides could not strike a deal.
"Because the player is entering the prime of his career you're really talking about a unique and rare opportunity", Boras said.
So where does that leave Harper and the Nationals now?
United Kingdom : 21 people found in refrigerated lorry entering from French port
They were passed into the care of social services, but one has now absconded, a spokesman for East Sussex County Council said. The lorry driver, identified as a Romanian national, has been arrested and charged with assisting unlawful entry.
However, it is becoming more and more clear that the Yankees intend to pass on Harper.
The Los Angeles Dodgers don't have interest.
Teixeira signed an eight-year, $180 million contract with the Yankees before the 2009 season. With just over a month until the MLB Winter Meetings, it doesn't appear that a decision from Harper (or any major free-agent) is imminent.
Importantly for any future negotiations, Harper's deal would not be the largest in baseball history by average annual value. Though the Nationals weren't able to save their season after the All-Star Break, Harper played at an MVP caliber following the midsummer classic, slashing.300/.434/.538 with 11 home runs, 46 RBIs and 52 walks in the second-half of the 2018 season.
As there continues to be speculation about Bryce Harper and the Yankees, a well-placed source emphatically says: "It's not happening".
The general consensus at the GM meetings had the Phillies as favorites to land Bryce Harper.
- Tamera Mowry’s Niece Among Those Killed In Latest Mass Shooting
- Fly Jamaica flight to Toronto crash lands at airport in Guyana
- McConnell touts 'bipartisanship,' warns Democrats against 'presidential harassment'
- Taliban at Afghanistan talks table today, Delhi sending ‘non
- No gunshots fired at North Carolina high school
- U.S. Warns Iranian Oil Tankers May Be Courting 'Environmental Disaster'
- White woman in viral racist rant facing 911 violation charge
- Japanese TV cancels BTS show over band member's A-bomb shirt
- Ozone layer finally healing after damage caused by aerosols, United Nations says
- Manchester United’s Jesse Lingard trolls Ronaldo following last-minute UCL win