Democrat Rashida Tlaib was elected to represent Michigan's 13th House District on Tuesday, defeating three other candidates, including a write-in campaign by Detroit's City Council president, Brenda Jones.
"I stand here before you tonight as your congresswoman-elect with many firsts behind my name", she said amid cheers.
A fighter who once heckled US President Donald Trump during a 2016 campaign stop in Detroit, she says she didn't run to make history as Muslim. "I can not wait to serve with you, inshallah".
As of 9:46 p.m. on November 6, media outlets have also declared Andy Levin, Debbie Dingell, and Brenda Lawrence winners in their respective U.S. House races.
Harvick makes Championship 4 with OT win at Texas
After the first of the late restarts, Harvick was on the inside and was able to keep Blaney from clearing him on the backstretch. The two drivers who now occupy these two spots are Joe Gibbs Racing's Kyle Busch and Furniture Row Racing's Martin Truex Jr .
Tlaib, a Palestinian American, will take over the seat vacated by former Rep. John Conyers.
Omar, the first Somali-American Muslim to be elected to the Minnesota legislature or any elected office in the United States, is also part of a historic wave of women looking to clinch higher.
Omar arrived in the U.S., aged 14, after fleeing civil war in Somalia.
In Michigan, voters elected Rashida Tlaib to fill a seat vacated by John Conyers, who resigned a year ago after allegations of sexual misconduct.
Also elected for the first time in MA was a black Congresswoman. She has a bachelor's degree in politics from North Dakota State University and has also studied public affairs. She spent four years in Dadaab until her family was cleared to emigrate to the US. The win was momentous for a number of reasons, not just that Democrats can now challenge Trump and the Republican party agenda.
- Jeff Sessions' often turbulent run as attorney general ends at Trump's request
- Sri Lanka parliament speaker refuses to accept Rajapaksa as PM
- Liverpool fans left fuming with Lazar Markovic actions following Champions League loss
- Donald Trump berates Jim Acosta in contentious White House news conference
- Driver charged in toddler deaths in Brooklyn crosswalk kills herself
- Jose Mourinho's improper conduct verdict to be appealed by the FA
- Slurpee and go: 7-Eleven introduces mobile checkout
- New England pizza, sandwich chain closes dozens of locations | AP business
- Assassin's Creed Odyssey Has Lots of Plans for November
- ‘Breaking Bad’ Movie In the Works, Bryan Cranston Confirms