After surveying the stricken Mediterranean island by helicopter, Italian Premier Giuseppe Conte said two of the victims were a German couple whose auto was swept away by flood waters near Agrigento, a tourist town known for its ancient Greek temples.
State TV broadcaster RaiNews24 said the sole survivor of the flood that ravaged the home with water and mud was the owner, who had just stepped outside to walk the family dogs Saturday when the torrent hit.
Torrential rain triggering landslides and flood waters led to the death of ten people in the region around Palermo, a spokesman for the Sicilian capital's Prefecture said. "I was yelling, 'Help, help."' "My son Federico tried to save his little sister, but both died", Giordano said, telling reporters he heard his son call out "I handle" about the girl's rescue. He clung to a tree and then climbed up on a roof to escape the waters.
In a separate incident, a man was found dead in his auto.
In southern Italy, nine members of two families who were spending the weekend together died when this house was flooded in the district of Cavallaro in Casteldaccia near Palermo on the island of Sicily.
The Agi news agency reported that a family of nine had been found dead in their house in Casteldaccia. Premier Conte called the disaster 'an vast tragedy.' Rescuers retrieved the bodies from the home.
Blackburn wins Tennessee Senate race over Bredesen
Blackburn defeated Democrat Phil Bredesen by 26 points, 62 percent to 36 percent. They held a rally for her on Sunday in Chattanooga at McKenzie Arena.
Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte called the disaster "an vast tragedy", while officials opened an investigation to find out if houses built near the river complied with safety norms.
The latter might be the case.
Another three people also lost their lives when their cars were swept away in other regions of Sicily.
Northern Italy was battered by other storms earlier in the week, killing at least 15 people.
Mayor of Casteldaccia Giovanni Di Giacinto said the incident was a "frightening tragedy", considering the river was only small and never held much water.
According to Ansa news agency, the missing would be a 40-year-old doctor travelling on his vehicle to reach the hospital in Corleone to start his shift. Firefighters also rescued 14 people from a hotel in Montevago town.
- Floridians vote to restore voting rights to most felons
- Breaking Bad Creator Confirms A Movie Is In The Works
- Iowa victor claims huge Powerball jackpot
- What's next for recreational marijuana in MI ?
- "Stand Up To PM, Protect Nation": Rahul Gandhi's Message To Urjit Patel
- Manchester City regain top spot of Premier League, Chelsea move to second
- Scientists Believe Mysterious, Oddly Shaped Space Object Could Be 'Alien Probe'
- Speculation mounts that Meghan Markle's mum will move to UK
- US High School Marching Band Spells Racial Slur in Halftime Performance
- Rashida Tlaib becomes first Muslim woman elected to Congress