New York's then state attorney general, Eric Schneiderman, said the question asking residents about their citizenship status would create fear and mistrust in immigrant communities and could skew census results if some immigrants choose not to participate.
Chief Justice John Roberts on October 19 had temporarily put the case on hold while the court as a whole decided how to proceed. That dispute includes whether Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, whose department oversees the U.S. Census Bureau, should be forced to answer questions under oath about his motivations for the politically charged decision.
Critics of the addition of a citizenship question to the form have argued it could create a chilling effect and lead to an undercount.
"You really have to wonder what they're trying to hide".
NBC pulls Trump's anti-immigration ad after SNF airing
NBC and Facebook also said on Monday that they would no longer show the ad. "Your questions are offensive a lot of the times". Mr Parscale said the media was trying to control what Americans see and think.
The federal government under the Obama and Trump administrations has tried repeatedly to get the case dismissed since it was filed in 2015 but have so far been unsuccessful.
The suit was brought by NY state against the Commerce Department, which oversees the Census Bureau, and is slated to head to trial Monday. The other was filed by several immigrant rights groups that accused the administration of discrimination against non-white immigrants. The Trump administration has said it added the question because the Justice Department needed it for Voting Rights Act enforcement - a justification that has been contradicted by the internal records that have been made public in the litigation.
The question hasn't been asked of all recipients to the Census since 1950. A Justice Department spokeswoman, Kerri Kupec, declined comment on the Supreme Court's action Friday.
The U.S. Constitution mandates a census every 10 years. The census figures are used to redraw House districts and divvy up federal funding among the states.
- The Cliffsofmoher euthanased on track after Melbourne Cup
- China motorway toll crash: At least 15 dead in Lanzhou
- Watch Here: Ryan Reynolds Goes After Hugh Jackman in Mock Political Ad
- USA midterm polls: Leaders in final push ahead of polls
- Runaway train gets away from driver and hurtles across 57 miles
- Shaqiri omitted from Liverpool squad ahead of UCL clash in Belgrade
- Man killed in third shark attack in weeks on Great Barrier Reef
- Drake Accuses Casino Of Racial Profiling, Fans React With Condemnation
- United Kingdom confident of Brexit financial services deal soon
- He’s golden: Jackie Bradley Jr. becomes first Gamecock to win Gold Glove