Spain's Rafael Nadal (L) and Serbia's Novak Djokovic wave at the end of an exhibition game during "Kids Day" on The Philippe Chatrier Court in Paris on May 26, 2018, on the eve of The Roland Garros 2018 French Open tennis tournament.
Rafael Nadal has ruled himself out of the ATP Finals in London next week.
World number 10 John Isner will replace the 17-time at the showpiece event in London.
Having missed the second half of the 2017 season because of his troublesome elbow, Djokovic returned at the start of this year but the injury flared up again at the Australian Open and he made a decision to have surgery on it.
The world No 2 cited an abdominal injury as the reason and then decided after consulting with his doctor in Barcelona that he would immediately undergo keyhole surgery on a separate issue in his right ankle.
"This has been a hard year, a very good one on a tennis level when I have been able to play, but also a very bad one when it comes to injuries".
Rebel Wilson Faces Backlash Over Comments Made On 'The Ellen Show'
This didn't sit well with viewers who later took to Twitter to point out that both Queen Latifah and Mo'Nique played lead roles in romantic comedies.
"Since the problem in my abdominal muscle also prevents me from playing in London, we have made a decision to take advantage of the moment. and avoid future problems". It would not be fair and not good for me and for nobody to go inside the court knowing that probably the full tournament will not be possible to play'.
He hasn't competed since he retired from his U.S. Open semifinal against Juan Martin del Potro because of a painful right knee.
'It is true that we had detected it for a long time and from time to time it bothered me.
"As such, I hope to be in good condition for next season".
Djokovic will be the ATP's year-ending No. 1 for the fifth time, pulling even with Roger Federer and Jimmy Connors for the second most since the computer rankings began in 1973.
The 32-year-old won a record-extending 11th French Open title in June and reached the semi-finals both at Wimbledon and the US Open.
- Shaqiri omitted from Liverpool squad ahead of UCL clash in Belgrade
- United Kingdom confident of Brexit financial services deal soon
- Steelers Le’Veon Bell Tweets He’s Leaving Miami
- The NFL Enters the World of Fortnite
- 'Diablo 2' Producer Says Blizzard Is "Not Understanding Gamers Anymore"
- Militants Killed After Coptic Attack, Compensation Given to Families
- Sam Ballard: Sydney man who swallowed slug passes away
- Amazon HQ2 to be split evenly between two cities
- China motorway toll crash: At least 15 dead in Lanzhou
- He’s golden: Jackie Bradley Jr. becomes first Gamecock to win Gold Glove