A man has died after he was attacked by a shark in the third such incident in two months at a popular tourist site on Australia's Great Barrier Reef.
"When the vessel arrived in Cid Harbour, the man and a woman were taking turns paddle boarding in the water". He was on the first day of a five-day cruise in the Whitsundays with a number of friends.
The man was with a group of 10 people travelling from Airlie Beach to Amity Point in a sailing boat, when it stopped at Cid Harbour.
Patrol Inspector Steve O'Connell said the group gave first aid to the victim after he was pulled onto the 12-metre vessel.
He died shortly after arrival.
Inspector Steve O'Connell of the Queensland Police Service said: "The group of 10 people were all very good friends and associates on holiday, and majority had a medical background, which meant there were at least two doctors on board, who were able to render immediate first aid".
Bale, Vinicius, Ramos and Plzen away — Real Madrid round-up
Ramos also highlighted the team's reaction late on, when they were struggling: "When things don't go you have to stay calm". We were on a tough run, we understand the fans' feeling and we're responsible for turning things around.
When the man jumped off the board, he was attacked by a shark.
The 33-year-old tourist suffered "significant leg and wrist injuries" when he was attacked while paddleboarding near Cid Harbor on Whitsunday Island off the Queensland state coast on Monday afternoon, a Queensland Ambulance statement said.
Following those attacks, local authorities conducted a culling of sharks in the area, capturing and killing at least four, including a 3.7 metre tiger shark.
Cid Harbour, located in north Queensland's idealic tourism hotspot the Whitsunday Islands, has recently become notorious for shark attacks following the mauling of two people in September this year.
The patrols are created to "provide reassurance to the boating community and tourists on the water", Queensland Police said.
- The Cliffsofmoher euthanased on track after Melbourne Cup
- Trump calls barbed wire 'beautiful' as troops install wire along border
- He’s golden: Jackie Bradley Jr. becomes first Gamecock to win Gold Glove
- CBBC Newsround: MTV European Music Awards round up
- China motorway toll crash: At least 15 dead in Lanzhou
- Rebel Wilson Faces Backlash Over Comments Made On 'The Ellen Show'
- Militants Killed After Coptic Attack, Compensation Given to Families
- Watch Here: Ryan Reynolds Goes After Hugh Jackman in Mock Political Ad
- Sam Ballard: Sydney man who swallowed slug passes away
- Drake Accuses Casino Of Racial Profiling, Fans React With Condemnation