An outbreak of multi drug-resistant Salmonella believed to be caused by raw chicken products has swept through 29 states, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced today.
The CDC said the outbreak started in January, and more people have tested positive for this strain through September.
Symptoms include diarrhea, fever and stomach cramps.
Most people infected with Salmonella recover without treatment, though in rare cases, antibiotics are needed for treatment. "The gastroenteritis of the stomach, flu-like symptoms, you can get from salmonella, it can be terrible".
The CDC said, as of Wednesday, a total of 92 people had fallen ill, with 21 of them requiring hospitalization.
According to the CDC, the patients live in California, Washington, Texas, Nebraska, Missouri, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Hawaii, Massachusetts and Maine.
Meghan Markle opens up about pregnancy symptoms - details
Meghan Markle has confirmed while on a royal tour of Australia that she's the type of guest anyone would like to invite over. Meghan's done some things with my dad, but in my heart, I love her and I want her and the baby to do well.
"It's been spread out over a long period of time", he said.
Food poisoning can be prevented through good hand washing and cleaning surfaces where raw chicken has been handled or prepared.
Salmonella bacteria live in chickens and other animals and raw chicken, as well as eggs, are common sources.
Health officials say the outbreak should serve as a reminder to always cook raw chicken carefully and thoroughly, as it may contain germs can that spread around food prep areas and make people sick.
Do not wash raw poultry before cooking. It is also suggested you don't feel raw diets to pets.
- Meghan brings a gift to Dubbo farm family
- Bellinger leads off vs. Brewers in Game 5
- Germany boss Löw slams decisive France penalty call
- Italian PM to EU: 'No room' for modifications on budget
- O'Rourke evokes Trump's 'Lyin' Ted' in debate
- Mysterious Paralyzing Illness Like Polio Found Among Kids in 22 States
- Zimmer Biomet Partnering With Apple
- Canelo Alvarez Signs Richest Boxing Contract Ever: $375 Million For 11 Fights
- Federal Reserve unanimously backed higher interest rates, despite Trump
- Deaths Of Missing Wisconsin Girl’s Parents Ruled Homicide