She beat out Drake, Ed Sheeran, Imagine Dragons and Post Malone at the fan-voted show Tuesday night. On Sunday, Swift provoked a storm by breaking her silence on politics and announcing she would vote for two Democrats in Tennessee in the US congressional midterm elections in November.
While the Grammy victor has generally stayed out of politics, she broke her silence Sunday to endorse Tennessee Democrats Phil Bredesen and Rep. Jim Cooper running in their Senate and House races respectively.
She also won tour of the year and favorite pop/rock album with "reputation".
Michael gaining strength, churning toward Florida
The north Florida city of Tallahassee on Sunday opened two locations where residents could get sandbags in case of flooding. Maximum sustained winds have increased to near 75 miles per hour with higher gusts, the National Hurricane Center said .
"As much as I have in the past and would like to continue voting for women in office, I can not support Marsha Blackburn", she told her 112 million Instagram followers. "I gotta prove people wrong because they said I wasn't going to make it after I had a baby", she said from the stage.
The message to her 112 million followers, which has been liked nearly two million times, broke a long-standing refusal to discuss her political opinions. Swift's pro-voting speech elicited enthusiastic applause from the attendees at the AMAs Tuesday. Swift, who had 19 AMA wins prior to this year's show, walked away with a total of 22 awards, beating Whitney Houston's longstanding record of 21 wins. "The fact that her music has been so pure for all of these years - she touched everybody with her music simply because she chose it with her heart, she didn't choose anything she didn't believe". And I'm so-to the fans, I'm so happy that you like this one.
"Guys, I always look at albums as chapters in my life".
It's official: After taking home three awards at the 2018 AMAs, Taylor Swift has more AMAs than any other female artist - and she used the opportunity to urge people to vote during the midterm elections!
- Updates, tracking resources as storm makes landfall
- The ‘Treacherous Terrain’ of Jupiter’s Moon Europa
- Samsung Galaxy A9 quad-camera detailed: tele, standard, wide, depth
- USA stocks plunge further, Dow drops 830 points
- Michael: Most violent United States hurricane since 1969
- Trump says S. Korea won't lift NK sanctions without USA approval
- United States senators trigger human rights probe over missing Saudi journalist
- Pipeline explodes near Prince George, B.C.: RCMP
- Amazon Great Indian Festival Sale Day 1: Best smartphone deals Slideshow
- Senate Dems lose health care vote, hope it's campaign fodder