Microsoft announced on Wednesday that the company is joining the Open Invention Network (OIN), a group that provides a licensing platform for Linux of an estimated 2,400 companies. "Through its participation in OIN, Microsoft is explicitly acknowledging the importance of open source software to its future growth", said Keith Bergelt, CEO of Open Invention Network.
Scott Guthrie, Microsoft's executive vice president of the cloud and enterprise group, said: "We want to protect open source projects from IP lawsuits, so we're opening our patent portfolio to the OIN". In return it expects that licensees do not assert their patents against the Linux community.
With Microsoft's contribution of 60,000 patents, the OIN has seen its patent library multiple nearly 50 times over.
Seann Walsh's girlfriend Rebecca Humphries has left him and taken the cat
Walsh was in a long-term relationship with actress Humphries, while Jones is married to fellow Strictly star Neil Jones . Will you be watching Strictly on Saturday night? "Despite everything, I hope he gets everything he wants from this".
Microsoft is open-sourcing its vast patent portfolio. "For others who have followed our evolution as a company, we hope this will be viewed as the next logical step for a company that is listening to its customers and is firmly committed to Linux and other open source programs".
Make a clear, unambiguous statement that it has ceased all patent infringement claims on the use of Linux in Android.
"Open source development continues to expand into new products and markets to create unrivaled levels of innovation". It's also worth noting that the members of OIN can cross-license their patents to other members.
For those unfamiliar, the Open Innovation Network is the world's largest patent consortium where members share their patents with other members loyalty-free, with each member agreeing not to sue Linux developers for their use of the shared patents in their applications.
- Trump on 831 Stock Market Drop: Fed Has Gone Crazy
- Facebook launches video-calling device ‘Portal’
- All US F-35s grounded worldwide
- Verne Troyer’s Cause of Death Revealed
- Scottish couple named as Majorca flood victims
- Astronauts Make Emergency Landing After Booster Failed
- Official Nokia 3.1 Plus Specifications, Release Date, Price, Photos & more
- New Nokia smartphone will hit the market with megadoppler
- Samsung Galaxy A9 launched with four rear cameras: Specifications, features
- Storm Callum: Amber weather alert issued for Wales