"I'm so nervous, you guys", Cleopatra Bernard said as she took the stage to accept the award on her son's behalf.
"This award and every single award given out tonight are voted on by the people, and you know what else is voted on by the people?" So many intelligent, thoughtful, self-possessed people have turned 18 in the past two years and now have the right and privilege to make their vote count.
However, the song's lyrics did have some added frisson, taken in the context of Swift's post on Sunday, excoriating Tennessee Senator Marsha Blackburn and promising to support her adopted home state's Democratic candidates in the forthcoming midterm elections. This was Swift's first awards show performance in nearly three years - and the first of her Reputation era - and she definitely came back with a bang.
No matter why you enjoy music, or what your favorite kind of music is, the 2018 American Music Awards ceremony has something in there for everybody. The rapper Cardi B won three awards, including one in tandem with Bruno Mars for their track Finesse. From her over-the-top red carpet floral look (complete with matching shoes) to her performance of "I Like It", she gave viewers plenty to love - and no misdemeanors this time around.
Owner Of Banksy Copy Shreds Artwork Thinking Value Would Double
He said the auction house was still "busily figuring out" how the transaction for the now radically altered work will play out. His art is known to be similar to Banksy's and many have claimed he could be the man behind the can.
"You can go to vote.org, like Taylor Swift told you to", Eichner said.
'As much as I have in the past and would like to continue voting for women in office, I can not support Marsha Blackburn. I believe that the systemic racism we still see in this country towards people of color is terrifying, sickening and prevalent'.
Gladys Knight performed a rendition of Amazing Grace in tribute to the late Aretha Franklin, and said ahead of the show: "I am so very honoured to have known her since we were both little girls". Other performers include Cardi B with Bad Bunny and J Balvin, Mariah Carey, Carrie Underwood, twenty one pilots and Jennifer Lopez.
- #HimToo memes go viral after mom mortifies son with tweet
- Man held in Bulgarian journalist murder probe
- Trump says he'll speak with Saudi officials about missing journalist
- Incident involving Twins’ Sano under investigation in Dominican Republic
- Vettel deserves more respect, says Hamilton
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Premiere Ratings Lowest Since 2010
- First five nominees for Ballon d'Or announced
- Jaguars turn to former Chiefs great Jamaal Charles for running back help
- Trump silent as the United Nations warns of climate change catastrophe
- American Music Awards: See Photos From the Red Carpet