The Victorian's return to Test cricket comes nearly 10 years to the day since he departed for India for his first tour with Australia, and he relished seeing Aaron Finch, Travis Head and Marnus Labuschagne make their debuts.
At stumps opener Usman Khawaja was batting on a fighting 50 and Travis Head on 34 as the pair had added an invaluable 49 for the unbroken fourth wicket stand to prolong Australia's resistance on a tired and spinning Dubai stadium pitch. Resuming the penultimate day on 45 for 3, Pakistan, who amassed 482 runs in the first innings, scored at a steady rate before declaring on 181 for 6. Playing his first Test, Finch looked in complete control and smashed five fours in different directions.
But Marsh (12) was trapped lbw by paceman Mohammad Abbas shortly after the interval and Paine (seven) soon followed, unsuccessfully reviewing his dismissal from offspinner Bilal with replays confirming a faint edge to short leg. When the ball was reversing, that's when I could attack.
With former captain Steve Smith, and opening batsmen David Warner and Cameron Bancroft serving suspensions for "Sandpaper-gate", the Australians have brought a vastly different squad to the Middle East from the one belted 3-1 in South Africa six months ago.
Before the dust had settled, Abbas also got rid of Mitchell Marsh (nought) to leave Australia in disbelief.
Market Outlook: China cuts reserve requirements
But forecasts in the poll for September's new bank loans ranged widely from 700 billion yuan to 1.6 trillion yuan. He also assured that the government has implemented measures to help the companies affected by the trade war.
An all-too-familiar batting collapse has exposed Australia's frailties in Asia and left the tourists battling to save the first test against Pakistan after losing 10 wickets for just 60 runs.
Pace workhorse Peter Siddle will support spearhead Mitchell Starc rather than the uncapped Michael Neser.
"It's always a big pride to score a Test hundred for your country and I have worked really hard to reach this far", said Sohail, who was sidelined for a two-year period with a knee injury in 2015.
KEY MOMENT - Another day, another collapse for Australia. "It has given us the platform for a good start tomorrow", Siddle told reporters after the first day's play at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium. Shafiq commenced with a stylish drive and conventional sweep before smoking Nathan Lyon (2 for 58) for a six over mid-wicket.
- Microsoft may be purchasing Fallout: New Vegas developer Obsidian
- How powerful is Indian passport? Check 2018 Henley Passport Index ranking here
- Google unveils new Pixel phone, adds tablet in Apple challenge
- Scientist: Tuesday, October 8, meteor shower Draconid will be the most active
- Richard Branson issues stark warning to rival Elon Musk
- The US Heard Saudis Talk About Capturing Khashoggi
- Brexit: Thirty Labour rebels prepared to defy Corbyn and back Chequers deal
- Andy Robertson warns Liverpool FC about surprise title challengers
- Officials warn residents to keep an eye on Tropical Storm Michael
- Watch 2018 American Music Awards live stream online