According to a recent report from Kotaku, Microsoft is in the final stages of acquiring Obsidian Entertainment and that the negotiotiations are "90% complete". A second person said, "It's a matter of when, not if". The studio was saved from closure, however, by the success of its crowdfunded project "Pillars of Eternity" in 2015, which raised almost $4 million.
When reached for comment, both Microsoft and Obsidian refused to comment on rumors or speculation.
One compelling argument for the sale is that being owned by a company with deep pockets will offer Obsidian stability and resources the likes of which it has never had before.
First five nominees for Ballon d'Or announced
Cape Town - France Football magazine has announced the first five nominees for the Ballon d'Or award featuring Sergio Aguero and Gareth Bale .
Rumours that Obsidian could become part of the Xbox family have been doing the rounds ever since Microsoft announced the acquisition of five new studios at E3, and hinted they were after more. As recently as June of this year, executives at Microsoft went on a spending spree and acquired Ninja Theory, Undead Labs, Compulsion Games, and Playground Games. "People want to play great games on our platform".
Despite the apparent inevitability of the deal the two companies have a storied history and when Microsoft cancelled Xbox exclusive role-playing game Stormlands in 2012 Obsidian nearly went bust.
Obsidian and Microsoft have a checkered history. Tense disagreements between the two companies led Microsoft to cancel the game in 2012, and to some involved it was hard to imagine the pair working together again.
- Owner Of Banksy Copy Shreds Artwork Thinking Value Would Double
- Google pulls out of $10 billion Pentagon cloud contract over AI concerns
- Spock Is Here, And Bearded, In The New Star Trek: Discovery Trailer
- Market Outlook: China cuts reserve requirements
- Incident involving Twins’ Sano under investigation in Dominican Republic
- #HimToo memes go viral after mom mortifies son with tweet
- Vettel deserves more respect, says Hamilton
- Fortnite’s Deep Freeze retail bundle doesn’t include Save the World
- Matthew Hayden fractures spine while surfing and admits
- DC Comics hires James Gunn after Disney fires him