LeBron James is bringing Black Panther director Ryan Coogler (Creed, Fruitvale Station) onboard the Space Jam sequel, who will produce the Warner Bros. project with production expected to start during National Basketball Association offseason in 2019, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
Announced by SpringHill Entertainment, the 14-time All-Star is set to star in "Space Jam 2" that has been speculated about for multiple years. Pictured in the announcement is a locker room with clothing areas belonging to Bugs Bunny (who will be playing point guard in the movie), James (taking the role of small forward), Terence Nance (the movie's director) and Ryan Coogler (the movie's producer). But instead of Jordan anchoring the Tune Squad, the Looney Tunes" basketball team will feature a different NBA icon: "none other than LeBron James. Not only did he make a move to the Western Conference in signing with the Los Angeles Lakers, but he and Maverick Carter's SpringHill Entertainment expanded their portfolio to include "The Shop" on HBO, "Do or Dare" on Facebook Watch and the upcoming docu series "Warriors of Liberty City" on Starz.
Space Jam 2 will play a bit on the debate of who is the GOAT between six-time National Basketball Association champion Jordan and (so far) three-time National Basketball Association champion James. This will be Coogler's first project since Black Panther was released earlier this year.
Man City coach Arteta warns rivals
"I will be on the touchline and I'll try to make the right decisions and for the rest, nothing will change". And I don't think today is the day to talk about it.
The movie marks James' first major acting role. The director is among the industry's most sought-after artists.
Of course, James supplanting Jordan as the star of the new movie invariably adds to the debate over which of the two should be viewed as the greatest player of all-time. "For Ryan to be able to bring that to kids, it's incredible", the soon-to-be Los Angeles Laker said.
"The Space Jam collaboration is so much more than just me and the Looney Tunes getting together and doing this movie", said James. "And I think Ryan did that for a lot of people".
- Former Girlfriends And Longtime Friends Come to Brett Kavanaugh's Defense
- Middleton shooting: Gunman inside Wisconsin office building
- Trump Hints of More Declassifications in Russia Probe
- Vikings Release Dan Carlson, Sign Free Agent Kicker Dan Bailey
- Weatherman called out for faking battle with wind during Tropical Storm Florence
- Shallotte woman killed when Horry Co. transport van caught in flood
- Maroon 5 to headline Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Google’s Family Gets New Features and Expands to New Countries
- Ex-Malaysian PM Najib arrested, to face charges in 1MDB case
- Gordon at practice; Belichick won't talk WR